Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Album.sortTags argument ignored
08-04-2020, 12:48
Album.sortTags argument ignored
I am trying to get the album list view (<n> albums) sorted by recently added albums by using an "incdate" (incorporation date) tag. "incdate" works fine as an index tag but adding "incdate" to the "Album.sortTags" list of tags, see

has no effect on the <n> albums list view. By contrast, replacing "incdate" with another index tag (composer, work, etc.) has the expected effect. Any idea what is going on here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2020, 13:21
RE: Album.sortTags argument ignored
What is the format of your "incdate" tag?
08-04-2020, 15:26
(08-04-2020 13:21)simoncn Wrote:  What is the format of your "incdate" tag?
Not sure what you mean by format but typical values of "incdate" are dates: "2020-02-13", "2019-10-27", etc., see

08-04-2020, 16:34
I think that the sorting works as expected but that I need to assign a default value for the "incdate" tag. Many albums have no "incdate" value and thus those that have one come up (sorted correctly) at the end of the list. How can I assign a default value, say "1974-01-01" to those albums that have no "incdate" values? Thanks, nbpf
08-04-2020, 19:01
Alternatively to giving a default value to a tag, can I set MinimServer to ignore those albums for which "incdate" is not set? Why are albums for which "incdate" is not set actually displayed when the only entry of tagOptions is "Album.sortTags={incdate}"?
08-04-2020, 22:52
When a tag is missing, sorting by that tag sorts the missing tag to the end of the list. Because you have specified -incdate in indexTags, the order is reversed and the missing tags come first. I think it would be better to always sort missing tags to the end, whether or not the indexTags entry has a -.

It is not possible to provide a default value for missing tags and it is not possible to exclude missing tags from the sorted list.
09-04-2020, 07:31
(08-04-2020 22:52)simoncn Wrote:  It is not possible to provide a default value for missing tags and it is not possible to exclude missing tags from the sorted list.
Ok, thanks for the precisation.
09-04-2020, 07:42
(08-04-2020 22:52)simoncn Wrote:  When a tag is missing, sorting by that tag sorts the missing tag to the end of the list. Because you have specified -incdate in indexTags, the order is reversed and the missing tags come first. I think it would be better to always sort missing tags to the end, whether or not the indexTags entry has a -.

With "Album.sortTags={incdate}" as the only entry of tagOptions and "incdate" in indexTags, the albums with non-empty "incdate" come first but in ascending order from top to bottom.

With "Album.sortTags={incdate}" as the only entry of tagOptions and "-incdate" in indexTags, the albums with non-empty "incdate" come last and in descending order.

What do I have to do to get the albums with non-empty "incdate" come first and in descending order?
09-04-2020, 07:50
This will require a change to MinimServer. I have added it to the list of improvements to be supported in a future version.
09-04-2020, 08:20 (This post was last modified: 09-04-2020 08:22 by nbpf.)
(09-04-2020 07:50)simoncn Wrote:  This will require a change to MinimServer. I have added it to the list of improvements to be supported in a future version.
Thanks, such a change seems necessary to be able to list the most recently added albums in the expected order, in absence of support for default value for missing tags and for excluding missing tags from the sorted list.

From a user perspective, assigning default tag values or excluding missing tags would perhaps be the most natural solutions. This is also because lltag, metaflac and other tools for managing metadata offer very poor support for listing items that do not contain certain tag values!