Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does find/filter on kinsky and upnp in general work?
26-04-2012, 18:01
How does find/filter on kinsky and upnp in general work?
Hi Simon

do you know how the filter/search function on upnp works? e.g. in kinsky you can "filter" the albums:
- does the kinsky app retrieve the whole list and than filter it itself
- or does it send the upnp the filter string and then retrieves only the items that its looking for?

greets
KoS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2012, 22:49
RE: How does find/filter on kinsky and upnp in general work?
(26-04-2012 18:01)KoS Wrote:  Hi Simon

do you know how the filter/search function on upnp works? e.g. in kinsky you can "filter" the albums:
- or does it send the upnp the filter string and then retrieves only the items that its looking for?

greets
KoS

Both approaches are used, depending on the control point. Kinsky doesn't support UPnP search, so it downloads everything from the server and does local searching within the downloaded data.

If the server and the control point both support UPnP search (e.g., Asset v4 and BubbleDS), it's possible for the control point to send a UPnP search request to the server and receive a pre-filtered list of results.

I'm intending to add support for UPnP search in a future version of MinimServer.
27-04-2012, 07:53
(26-04-2012 22:49)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 18:01)KoS Wrote:  do you know how the filter/search function on upnp works? e.g. in kinsky you can "filter" the albums:

Both approaches are used, depending on the control point. Kinsky doesn't support UPnP search, so it downloads everything from the server and does local searching within the downloaded data.

If the server and the control point both support UPnP search (e.g., Asset v4 and BubbleDS), it's possible for the control point to send a UPnP search request to the server and receive a pre-filtered list of results.

I'm intending to add support for UPnP search in a future version of MinimServer.
thanks for clarification. so that explains why eLyric display a search field when i access the twonky server and none on minim.

are you planning to use some bug-tracking system for the development, e.g. redmine?
27-04-2012, 08:36
(27-04-2012 07:53)KoS Wrote:  thanks for clarification. so that explains why eLyric display a search field when i access the twonky server and none on minim.

Yes, that would be the reason.

Quote:are you planning to use some bug-tracking system for the development, e.g. redmine?

I'm hoping that there won't be enough bugs to make it necessary to use something like that. Smile