Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tagging "Label"
18-12-2019, 20:53
Tagging "Label"
I'm trying to include a "Label" tag for the publisher of the album. I actually put the tag under "Publisher" and I added "Label" to the minimserver options. The "Label" shows up and has some of the albums sorted by the label tag, but many others are showing up as [unknown] even though they appear to have the identical tags. I have tried to find something in the album tagging that that might be conflicting for the ones that don't show up, but I don't see any differences between the ones that do show up and the ones that don't. Also, there are no errors showing up in the log. Is there a solution?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2019, 21:34 (This post was last modified: 18-12-2019 21:35 by simoncn.)
RE: Tagging "Label"
For ID3v2 tags (used by MP3 and some other formats), Publisher is mapped to Label by MinimServer (this seems to be an industry standard). For Vorbis comments (used by FLAC), there is no such mapping and Publisher will show as Publisher.

If you want all Label and Publisher to show as Label, you can put Publisher:Label in the aliasTags property. If you want all Label and Publisher to show as Publisher, you can put Label:Publisher in the aliasTags property.
18-12-2019, 22:16
(18-12-2019 21:34)simoncn Wrote:  If you want all Label and Publisher to show as Label, you can put Publisher:Label in the aliasTags property. If you want all Label and Publisher to show as Publisher, you can put Label:Publisher in the aliasTags property.

I tried using Label:Publisher, but it doen't solve the problem.

After reading this post: https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread...ight=label

I experimented with the "organization" tag. I tried on a sample of albums moving all of my "Publisher" tags to the "organization" tag and using "Organization" in minimserver, and that seems to work. It means retagging all of my music, and using "organization" rather than "label" or "publisher," but it looks like it works. Strange behavior.
19-12-2019, 11:24
Thanks for the pointer. I had forgotten about this strange behaviour of Mp3tag. It sounds like this has caused some of your files to be tagged with Organization instead of Publisher. So, to revise my previous suggestion:

If you want all Label, Publisher and Organization to show as Label, you can put Publisher:Label, Organization:Label in the aliasTags property.

If you want all Label, Publisher and Organization to show as Publisher, you can put Label:Publisher, Organization:Publisher in the aliasTags property.

In both these cases there is no need to change the tagging inside your files.
19-12-2019, 21:23
Thanks. I already cleaned up my tags, but that's good to know for future reference (very messy and time consuming, but working good now).

Just so I understand how it works, if you have two different tags in, say, "Label" and "Organization," and you say "Label:Organization," will "Organization" show the "Label" tag or the "Organization" tag. In other words, which tag gets priority in the output?

This is a brilliant program. Thank you for everything you do for us.
19-12-2019, 21:36
If you say Label:Organization in aliasTags and you have both of these tags with different values, neither gets priority. You will see two values for the Organization tag.

If you want Label to have priority, you can say Label:-Organization in aliasTags. This removes all Organization tags if any Label tags are present.

If you want Organization to have priority, you can use tagValue instead of aliasTags and set tagValue to Organization.default={Label}.

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation.
28-12-2019, 01:59
Simon, I have another question. When I'm playing music, The album tag shows up in large letters, with the "artist" tag below in smaller letters. The composer is not listed, which is confusing.

Each track below shows the "title".

Can I have it show "Composer - Artist" without changing the tags for selection, or maybe have it put "Composer-Title" in the track titles? It might be better to put the composer in the track title, since many albums have different composers for different tracks.
29-12-2019, 08:43
Please start a new thread for this new discussion. Having a subject line that matches the topic of the discussion makes it easier for other users to access this information. Many thanks.