Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Announcing MinimServer 2
14-04-2020, 20:16 (This post was last modified: 14-04-2020 20:17 by bbrip.)
RE: Announcing MinimServer 2
more than happy to pay 10 Eur a year for MinimStreamer.

If you want to see Software that truly is expensive and doesnt even work properly with classical collections, have a look at Roon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2020, 09:09
(14-04-2020 20:08)simoncn Wrote:  A renewal reminder will be sent by email to all MinimServer 2 users who have purchased a license.

Ok, an email notification will be enough I think. Do not put time into a virtual notification folder if it is difficult!

(14-04-2020 20:08)simoncn Wrote:  Can you explain the use case that requires the folder art image change that you have requested?

I only am using navigation by folder. Each artist has one folder. In this folder each album has a sub folder.

The album folders already display the cover art of the containing cover.jpg. But the artist folder does not show a cover. I could put a folder.jpg into it but would prefer an automatic cover art for this artist folder. It should display the cover art of the first album sub folder. Or of the last one. This should be configurable in minimserver. For me "first" and "last" regarding an alphabetical order would be sufficient, because I name my album folders like "YEAR - album title". But it might be interesting to set this rule for the most recent or oldest album sub folder for others.
15-04-2020, 10:07
Thanks for explaining this. I am planning improvements to artist images in tag view. Folder view is more limited than tag view because MinimServer does not attach any semantics to the folder structure. This is why it treats each folder separately.
20-04-2020, 20:02
Now that the availability of MinimServer 2 for Windows has triggered my licence purchase, I'd like to record my thanks for a purchase and installation process that was pretty much as smooth as it could be. The only tiny glitch was Windows Defender making a nuisance of itslf; I've been there before, and clicking through the dialog got rid of the problem.

I wasn't expecting much by way of new features at this stage, so the new web-based dialog was a pleasant surprise. It was nice, as a Linn DSM owner, to see that the page opens in Konfig as before.

I am looking forward impatiently to the release for QNAP. My old Netgear ReadyNAS duo died last week, and has been replaced with a QNAP TS-251+ (on which MinimServer 0.8 installed entirely without fuss). So now I need a QNAP download twice as much as I did before ...

David
20-04-2020, 20:05
(20-04-2020 20:02)DavidHB Wrote:  Now that the availability of MinimServer 2 for Windows has triggered my licence purchase, I'd like to record my thanks for a purchase and installation process that was pretty much as smooth as it could be. The only tiny glitch was Windows Defender making a nuisance of itslf; I've been there before, and clicking through the dialog got rid of the problem.

I wasn't expecting much by way of new features at this stage, so the new web-based dialog was a pleasant surprise. It was nice, as a Linn DSM owner, to see that the page opens in Konfig as before.

I am looking forward impatiently to the release for QNAP. My old Netgear ReadyNAS duo died last week, and has been replaced with a QNAP TS-251+ (on which MinimServer 0.8 installed entirely without fuss). So now I need a QNAP download twice as much as I did before ...

David

I'll second that!
26-04-2020, 10:56
Any news on the QNAP release, Simon?
26-04-2020, 20:44
The QNAP release is available now. See this post.
26-04-2020, 20:59
(26-04-2020 20:44)simoncn Wrote:  The QNAP release is available now. See this post.

Excellent - and thank you. I look forward to installing it.
27-04-2020, 02:09
When I installed MinimServer 2 on both Windows and my QNAP NASs, and then activated the license so that my settings were copied across from MinimServer 0.8.5, I noticed that MinimServer 0.8.5 itself was uninstalled. This is obviously not a problem for me, but would the same thing happen with either the Starter Edition or a 30 day Trial License, thereby preventing the user from reverting from MinimServer 2 to MinimServer 0.8.5? I haven't found anything in the documentation on this point.

David
27-04-2020, 08:03 (This post was last modified: 27-04-2020 08:08 by simoncn.)
You can only have one installation of the MinimServer package on a QNAP NAS. This has always been the case. Installing MinimServer 2 replaces MinimServer 0.8.5 and reverting to MinimServer 0.8.5 would replace MinimServer 2.

On a QNAP NAS, MinimServer 2 uses a different location for configuration settings than MinimServer 0.8.5. The MinimServer 2 installer automatically copies your existing 0.8.5 configuration settings to this new location. Any property settings from your 0.8.5 configuration that are not available in Starter Edition are saved in your default profile and will be enabled when you activate either a trial license or a full license.

For example, you can change the content directory in Starter Edition, so your 0.8.5 setting for the contentDir property will be migrated automatically to MinimServer 2. You cannot add index tags in Starter Edition, so any changes you have made in 0.8.5 to the indexTags property will not become visible and available in MinimServer 2 until you activate a trial license or a full license.

Your 0.8.5 configuration is not deleted, so if you subsequently install MinimServer 0.8.5 over MinimServer 2, you will revert to the same configuration that you had when you last used MinimServer 0.8.5. Any property changes you have made in MinimServer 2 will not be migrated back to 0.8.5.

If you then install MinimServer 2 again over 0.8.5, your previous MinimServer 2 configuration will be used. After the initial installation of MinimServer 2, your MinimServer 0.8.5 and MinimServer 2 configurations are maintained in parallel and any changes to one of these do not affect the other.

The above applies no matter what version of MinimServer 2 you are using when you revert to 0.8.5 (Starter Edition, trial version, full version).

Important note: the above applies specifically to a QNAP NAS.