Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi Value Artist
10-04-2013, 00:47
Multi Value Artist
Hi Simon,

I've been thinking about installing your product (I have a few DS's) primarily because of one weakness in Twonky and am hoping you can tell me if your new version will address my need.

This simplest example is, with Twonky, if I have an album where some of the tracks have multi value artists, and I then look at Album/Artist in Kinsky, it will only show whatever the last value.

Example : Neil Young Greatest Hits. Track-1 value may be NEIL YOUNG and Track-2 may be NEIL YOUNG,CRAZY HORSE.

Looking at Album/Artist in Kinsky for Neil Young Greatest Hits, it will not show that second track because Crazy Horse is the last value in a multi value field.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 09:48
RE: Multi Value Artist
(10-04-2013 00:47)Mr.Bear Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I've been thinking about installing your product (I have a few DS's) primarily because of one weakness in Twonky and am hoping you can tell me if your new version will address my need.

This simplest example is, with Twonky, if I have an album where some of the tracks have multi value artists, and I then look at Album/Artist in Kinsky, it will only show whatever the last value.

Example : Neil Young Greatest Hits. Track-1 value may be NEIL YOUNG and Track-2 may be NEIL YOUNG,CRAZY HORSE.

Looking at Album/Artist in Kinsky for Neil Young Greatest Hits, it will not show that second track because Crazy Horse is the last value in a multi value field.

MinimServer will find all the artists that are tagged for every track and every album. It doesn't treat the last artist in the list specially.

I couldn't find an Album/Artist selection in Twonky. I found Artist/Album, and this shows me a list of all the tagged artists, not just the last tagged artist. Can you give a bit more detail about how you use Twonky to do an Album/Artist selection?
13-04-2013, 03:55 (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013 03:58 by Mr.Bear.)
You are correct... it is Artist/Album. Typo mistake on my end, sorry.

As an example, I am attaching 5 Kinsky screen capture files:

• One shows all sixteen tracks when looking at the Album view in Kinsky (Greatest Hits, Disc 1),
• One shows looking at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Neil Young / Greatest Hits, Disc 1),
• One shows looking at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Crazy Horse / Greatest Hits, Disc 1),
• One shows looking at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young / Greatest Hits, Disc 1),
• One shows looking at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Stray Gators / Greatest Hits, Disc 1).

I used dBpoweramp to rip the CD and when a track is a multi-artist track, dBpoweramp appears to use a semicolon + space between the values… see attached PDF file. You will see that either Neil Young is the only artist listed or if it’s a multi-artist track, Neil Young is always the first artist listed before the additional artist.

With all this said, if I were to use MinimServer and looked at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Neil Young / Greatest Hits, Disc 1), would I see all 16 tracks?

Hope all of this makes sense :-)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

13-04-2013, 03:59 (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013 04:00 by Mr.Bear.)
(13-04-2013 03:55)Mr.Bear Wrote:  You are correct... it is Artist/Album. Typo mistake on my end, sorry.

• One shows all sixteen tracks when looking at the Album view in Kinsky (Greatest Hits, Disc 1),
• One shows looking at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Neil Young / Greatest Hits, Disc 1),
• One shows looking at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Crazy Horse / Greatest Hits, Disc 1),
• One shows looking at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young / Greatest Hits, Disc 1),
• One shows looking at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Stray Gators / Greatest Hits, Disc 1).

I used dBpoweramp to rip the CD and when a track is a multi-artist track, dBpoweramp appears to use a semicolon + space between the values… see attached PDF file. You will see that either Neil Young is the only artist listed or if it’s a multi-artist track, Neil Young is always the first artist listed before the additional artist.

With all this said, if I were to use MinimServer and looked at the Artist/Album view in Kinsky (Neil Young / Greatest Hits, Disc 1), would I see all 16 tracks?

I forgot to attach this final file / the PDF I referenced above; so here is the PDF

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Greatest Hits, Disc 1.pdf (Size: 33.67 KB / Downloads: 10)
13-04-2013, 06:30
(13-04-2013 03:55)Mr.Bear Wrote:  You are correct... it is Artist/Album. Typo mistake on my end, sorry.

It does makes sense, and MinimServer will do a much better job of handling this.

The values separated by semicolons are actually separate tags. For example, Cinnamon Girl has the tags

ARTIST=Neil Young
ARTIST=Crazy Horse

and dbPoweramp is showing this combination to you as

Neil Young; Crazy Horse

The problem is that when Twonky's Artist/Album view looks for tracks with the tag

ARTIST=Neil Young

it fails to find any tracks with the combination

ARTIST=Neil Young
ARTIST=Crazy Horse

and this causes the problems you are seeing.

MinimServer handles this correctly, so when you look for tracks by Neil Young, it will find tracks with ARTIST=Neil Young on its own and it will also find tracks with ARTIST=Neil Young in combination with other Artist values.