Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ffmpeg on Melco
11-10-2019, 15:07
RE: ffmpeg on Melco
Thanks for the quick reply.

The problem is on the MinimWatch side. MinimWatch is doing a proxy download of the ffmpeg file and there is either a blockage reading this file from the download internet server or a blockage writing this file to the Melco. If you could rerun the test with the logging level set to Trace on the MinimWatch side and post the MinimWatch trace log, I should be able to establish which of these it is.

It is possible that BitDefender might be blocking this communication. Another possibility is that the size of the ffmpeg file (2.4 MB) is in some way contributing to the issue. Just before the problem occurred, another much smaller file (1.7 KB) was downloaded correctly.

There is no problem on the Melco side. Everything in the MinimServer log looks as it should be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2019, 17:17
Curiouser and curiouser… I guess it’s semi-reassuring if the problem isn’t with the Melco ;-)
I attach the Trace Minimwatch log for information; thanks Simon for taking the time to dig into this strange problem.

Attached File(s)
.zip  Trace_log_Minimwatch.zip (Size: 2.17 KB / Downloads: 1)
11-10-2019, 22:03
Thanks for this file. It shows that the file is being read correctly from the internet download server, so the blockage must be in the output connection from the PC to the Melco.

This doesn't absolutely prove that the problem is on the PC output side. There is a very small chance that there could be a hardware fault on the Melco input side that shows up only when a large file is being streamed to the Melco.

Do you have any other machine capable of running MinimWatch that you could try instead of your PC? This would positively identify whether it is the PC output or Melco input that is causing the blockage.
12-10-2019, 08:52
I installed Minimwatch on a different computer (running the Avira antivirus), had another crack at installing ffmpeg on the Melco, and…. it worked! This does rather make it look as if Bitdefender is the guilty party, although I suppose it is conceivable that there’s some configuration issue with Windows. Thank you so much for your help on this problem, and digging down through all the logs to narrow down the possibilities.

If you’re interested in investigating Bitdefender behaviour further for your own reasons, I’d be happy to help, otherwise it’s problem solved. Thank you!
12-10-2019, 16:19
Thanks for trying this. It is useful to know about this BitDefender issue in case other users have the same problem. I don't intend to pursue this with BitDefender myself but it might be helpful if you (as their customer) could make them aware of the issue. Perhaps there is some BitDefender setting that the user can disable to prevent this from happening.