Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JRiver as CP problem
21-09-2019, 17:11 (This post was last modified: 21-09-2019 17:14 by McKenna.)
JRiver as CP problem
Hi, I am using 2 laptops with Windows 10x64, 1 wifi modem/router and 4 external HDs w almost 4TB of classical music. HDs are USB connected to one of the laptops and there is a JRiver and Minimserver running on that fixed laptop with ethernet connection. The other laptop is the client which I carry around.
I used to utilize JRiver on the fixed as DLNA server and I was able to connect through client JRiver or UAPP on android tablet and phone and Bravia TV with ease. I found JRiver as a server and renderer problematic though.
I installed Minim this week but whatever I did I couldn't use JRiver on the client as control point...except using M as server, Jriver on the same machine as renderer and Jriver on the client as control point. Foobar on the client easily sees and is served, UAPP and Bubble on androids connect easily but I couldn't make it appear on the client Jriver. I disabled both laptops' firewalls, even the firewall on the router, to no avail. What am I missing?

Edit: PS. I use minimwatch...everything is green.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2019, 17:22
RE: JRiver as CP problem
In the setup that you can't get to work (MinimServer on fixed laptop, JRiver as UPnP control point on client laptop), what hardware/software is acting as the UPnP renderer?
21-09-2019, 18:30 (This post was last modified: 21-09-2019 18:44 by McKenna.)
(21-09-2019 17:22)simoncn Wrote:  In the setup that you can't get to work (MinimServer on fixed laptop, JRiver as UPnP control point on client laptop), what hardware/software is acting as the UPnP renderer?

Nothing.

Edit: Sounds incomplete. What I know of JRiver is that it can act as a server, a renderer and a control point. I need the client JRiver act as a renderer and a control point without the need of the JRiver on the fixed...just like what foobar's "UPnP MediaRenderer Output" lets.
21-09-2019, 23:01
Found the solution. When JRiver Media Server is running on the fixed, none of the other media servers are listed on the client JRiver. I turned it off and both Minimserver and Universal Media Server (I'm trying that, too) appeared on the client.
22-09-2019, 08:50 (This post was last modified: 22-09-2019 08:54 by simoncn.)
Thanks for sharing this. This JRiver behaviour is surprising, as multiple UPnP servers should be able to run on the same machine and be discoverable by any UPnP control point.

I would be interested to hear how you think MinimServer compares with UMS.