Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Browsing / Submenus be Changed?
15-09-2019, 10:29
Intelligent Browsing / Submenus be Changed?
Hi Simon,

Thought id just ask a simple question before i went into any detail.
I am forever trying to tweak my system to improve the W.A.F - Wife Acceptance Factor. I need to get her using all the mp3s ive painstakingly downloaded and tagged for her!

Anyway, simple question: Can submenus be editted based on my preferences?

E.g. use alpha groups at the top level but not in other levels, remove categories from submenus etc.

I have a list of tweaks i'd like to make and will post based on the your advice here

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2019, 15:49
RE: Intelligent Browsing / Submenus be Changed?
MinimServer does not provide configuration settings to treat submenus differently than the top-level menu.

You can control alpha-grouping based on the number of items in the selection, so that a selection contaiing less than a specified number of items does not get alpha-grouped (see this section).

Also, you can switch from indexed menus to a flat list of albums when the number of albums in the selection falls below a user-specified number (see this section).

It might be helpful for you to describe what you want in more detail so that I can advise on any settings that could go some way towards meeting your requirements.
22-09-2019, 09:27
(15-09-2019 15:49)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer does not provide configuration settings to treat submenus differently than the top-level menu.

You can control alpha-grouping based on the number of items in the selection, so that a selection contaiing less than a specified number of items does not get alpha-grouped (see this section).

Also, you can switch from indexed menus to a flat list of albums when the number of albums in the selection falls below a user-specified number (see this section).

It might be helpful for you to describe what you want in more detail so that I can advise on any settings that could go some way towards meeting your requirements.

Ok heres some areas id like to customise off the top of my head. Please dont take anything as criticism, MS is excellent but can be confusing for mrs or guests so im trying to see whats possible to "simplify". FYI all my mp3's are tagged to id3v2.4:

1) I guess first off can intelligent browsing be turned off so there are no cross links to other areas of the library? A flat hierarchy is i guess what i'm looking for, or at least i know the wife will understand. It can get confusing with cross links (read on)
2) [folder view] appears at the bottom of any list, can this be hidden?
3) What modifications can i make to <n> albums or <n> items? Can i drop the <n> or rename albums/items? Can this be done differently at different levels or does a change at the top level change all appearances below?
4) For tracks with multiple genres it seems a bit confusing to have second level genre browsing within any particular genre E.g. Genre->Ambient->Genre->Whatever. Can the second level genre be disabled?
5) As above in 1). In All artist, entries were the artist has featured artists on tracks display another All artists entry to link to these artists. This is rather confusing, can it be disabled?
6) I would like to use Decade at the top level of my library and then year beneath it ONLY. I dont want to use Decade or year anywhere else in the library e.g. browsing under an artist. I realise you would have to go back to the top level to browse by decade/year.

I've got more but will need to have a think

Cheers
23-09-2019, 10:10
(22-09-2019 09:27)sadsack5000 Wrote:  1) I guess first off can intelligent browsing be turned off so there are no cross links to other areas of the library? A flat hierarchy is i guess what i'm looking for, or at least i know the wife will understand. It can get confusing with cross links (read on)
2) [folder view] appears at the bottom of any list, can this be hidden?
3) What modifications can i make to <n> albums or <n> items? Can i drop the <n> or rename albums/items? Can this be done differently at different levels or does a change at the top level change all appearances below?
4) For tracks with multiple genres it seems a bit confusing to have second level genre browsing within any particular genre E.g. Genre->Ambient->Genre->Whatever. Can the second level genre be disabled?
5) As above in 1). In All artist, entries were the artist has featured artists on tracks display another All artists entry to link to these artists. This is rather confusing, can it be disabled?
6) I would like to use Decade at the top level of my library and then year beneath it ONLY. I dont want to use Decade or year anywhere else in the library e.g. browsing under an artist. I realise you would have to go back to the top level to browse by decade/year.

I've got more but will need to have a think

Cheers

1. Set the listViewAlbums property to a very large number that is greater than the total number of albums in your library.
2. No
3. No. This is fixed, but if you do 1. you won't see it under the top level
4. See 1.
5. See 1.
6. See 1.
23-09-2019, 15:31
Hmmmm i set listViewAlbums to 9999 as directed and it gives the result i think you were intending but its not what i was after. It now just shows a list of albums under any listing e.g. Genre->Metal->List of albums, Decade->1940's->List of albums, All Artists->Freddie Mercury->List of albums. Maybe i don't fully understand what intelligent browsing does but i was hoping to just remove cross-linking rather than removing ways to further drill down a hierarchy.

It sounds like second level hierarchy and beyond cant be fully customised different to the next list, shame. Its still a great product though
23-09-2019, 16:17
What do you mean by cross-linking? An example would be helpful.