Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artist or Artists for multiple Artists
08-07-2019, 15:34
Artist or Artists for multiple Artists
Hi,

I've just noticed that my featured artists are not showing up under All Artists.
I have ran all my mp3's through musicbrainz picard and they are tagged to the id3v2.4 standard. Musicbrainz has utilised a new tag ARTISTS with semicolon separator's to list the main artist and featured artist in any relevant track. See attachment under column Original Values.
In this case Florence Welch does not appear in All Artists of MS, nor does John Martin in the track a few previous.

I have seen threads showing the ARTIST (not ARTISTS) tag with all artists seperated by semi colons.

So whats the score with the ARTISTS tag? Should i retag to include featured artists in ARTIST instead?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2019, 21:17
RE: Artist or Artists for multiple Artists
As you suspected, the values in the All Artist index are taken from the Artist tag, not the Artists tag.

It is likely that the semicolon you are seeing here is not a real semicolon but an indicator from Picard that there are multiple values for the Artists tag. Multiple-value tags are supported by ID3v2.4 and by MinimServer.

Assuming the above is correct, you can set the aliasTags property of MinimServer to:

Artists:-Artist

With this setting, if a file has an Artists tag with one or more values, MinimServer treats these values as Artist values and ignores any Artist tag value(s) in the same file. For files without an Artists tag, MinimServer reads the Artist tag value(s) as usual.

Using aliasTags avoids the need to retag your files.
11-07-2019, 14:02
Hmmm i cant seem to get this to work. I have entered Artists:-Artist into aliasTags, rescanned (which took some time), restarted but still no featured artists are found in All Artists. I tried browsing using my bose soundtouch app and the mconnect app, both identical. As far as i can tell my mp3's are tagged ok, i verified the ARTISTS tags for the song above in Extended Tags in Mp3tag - all looked fine.

I even tried dropping the - in alias tags to Artists:Artist, rescanned, restarted and still no luck

Am i doing something wrong?
11-07-2019, 15:32
(11-07-2019 14:02)sadsack5000 Wrote:  Hmmm i cant seem to get this to work. I have entered Artists:-Artist into aliasTags, rescanned (which took some time), restarted but still no featured artists are found in All Artists. I tried browsing using my bose soundtouch app and the mconnect app, both identical. As far as i can tell my mp3's are tagged ok, i verified the ARTISTS tags for the song above in Extended Tags in Mp3tag - all looked fine.

I even tried dropping the - in alias tags to Artists:Artist, rescanned, restarted and still no luck

Am i doing something wrong?

Which scan did you perform?
True of Full

I think you will need Full. See following.

startupScan
If set to true (the default), MinimServer does a complete library scan when it is started.
If set to full, this scan ignores any existing cache files.
If set to false, no library scan is done when MinimServer is started. See the Reading audio files section for details.

To test, perhaps create a smaller library or create a test folder within your current directory. Once test is finished you can then ignore the test folder using the following.

excludePattern
A comma-separated list of one or more file-matching patterns.
A file or folder is excluded from scanning if its name matches any of the patterns in the list. See the File scanning section for details.
12-07-2019, 09:07
Changing properties (such as aliasTags) does not require a rescan, only a MinimServer restart. A rescan is needed only when the library contents have been changed.

Try adding Artists to indexTags and restarting MinimServer. Do you see anything under the Artists index?
15-07-2019, 19:06
(12-07-2019 09:07)simoncn Wrote:  Changing properties (such as aliasTags) does not require a rescan, only a MinimServer restart. A rescan is needed only when the library contents have been changed.

Try adding Artists to indexTags and restarting MinimServer. Do you see anything under the Artists index?

Ok i stripped everything out of indexTags and alphaGroup then reinserted just Artists. Nothing shows up i only see total number of albums and total number of tracks
15-07-2019, 23:27
(15-07-2019 19:06)sadsack5000 Wrote:  
(12-07-2019 09:07)simoncn Wrote:  Changing properties (such as aliasTags) does not require a rescan, only a MinimServer restart. A rescan is needed only when the library contents have been changed.

Ok i stripped everything out of indexTags and alphaGroup then reinserted just Artists. Nothing shows up i only see total number of albums and total number of tracks

A reasonable thing to do but the aliasTags has virtually renamed the Artists tag to Artist. So you need Artist in the indexTags.
16-07-2019, 08:15
Tried that actually and just the Artist tags show, not Artists

just for info i tried in indextags:
Artist
Artists
Artist, Artists

and all do not show the Artists one way or another

There must be something wrong with my Artists tags that picard wrote
16-07-2019, 09:34
To see exactly what is in your Artist and Artists tags, you should remove everything from aliasTags (as Alandbush has said) and set indexTags to Artist,Artists. With these settings, what do you see?
16-07-2019, 12:38
(15-07-2019 23:27)Alandbush Wrote:  
(15-07-2019 19:06)sadsack5000 Wrote:  

A reasonable thing to do but the aliasTags has virtually renamed the Artists tag to Artist. So you need Artist in the indexTags.

Sorry, but I think I offered incorrect advice because of the following description.

The Artist index provides main artist information.
It contains AlbumArtist tag values for albums that have this tag and Artist tag values otherwise.

What you needed was ‘All Artists’ in the indexTags.

However, Simoncn subsequent suggestion is similar and worth doing because it should prove the validity of your Artists tag.