Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple instances on the same Mac - how can I do this?
02-06-2019, 12:49
Multiple instances on the same Mac - how can I do this?
I am moving over to MinimServer and find it's configuration a little unclear.

I want to run two instances: one (up and more or less running) for POP and another for CLASSICAL. Different sort priorities etc ("composer" is better if there are no pop song-writers in the list).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2019, 15:47
RE: Multiple instances on the same Mac - how can I do this?
You should be able to run two instances of MinimServer on the Mac by logging in with two different usernames. I haven't tried this myself.
02-06-2019, 16:00
(02-06-2019 15:47)simoncn Wrote:  You should be able to run two instances of MinimServer on the Mac by logging in with two different usernames. I haven't tried this myself.

Not exactly simple :-)
The Mac in question is my main desktop.

I had hoped you could run two instances within the same session as you can with another software package (which is not so good at classical).
09-06-2019, 18:36
(02-06-2019 12:49)uncl_nigel Wrote:  I want to run two instances: one (up and more or less running) for POP and another for CLASSICAL. Different sort priorities etc ("composer" is better if there are no pop song-writers in the list).

Try this instead as I'm pretty sure it will accomplish what you are after:

1) From the top level of your browsing tree select [folder view]
2) Select the folder that represents the part of your collection you want to limit browsing to (I'm assuming classical or pop)
3) On the next screen tap >> Tag View
4) On my server the next screen shows the name of the folder that I browsed to and tapping on that will take me to the usual list of indexTags.

You can now browse as you normally would, but the tags will be limited to the files in that folder.

The only time I've found multiple instances to be useful are when I've needed to serve files differently for different renderers. In the past I had a device that couldn't process DSD so I setup a second instance which used Minimstreamer to convert DSD to PCM.
09-06-2019, 19:59
Sorry but you have lost me completely. Just in case - I am using a Mac.

From #1, I am not seeing what you suggest I should select...
09-06-2019, 20:08
This assumes that Minimserver is setup for your entire library (both classical and pop).

From the top level Minimserver index that you browse in your control app to find a play music scroll to the bottom of the list and there will be an entry labeled [folder view]. It will be EXACTLY as I have typed it -- all lower case with brackets. Tap that.
09-06-2019, 20:22
(09-06-2019 20:08)AMP Wrote:  This assumes that Minimserver is setup for your entire library (both classical and pop).

From the top level Minimserver index that you browse in your control app to find a play music scroll to the bottom of the list and there will be an entry labeled [folder view]. It will be EXACTLY as I have typed it -- all lower case with brackets. Tap that.

Thanks for that.

Not over convenient especially compared with multiple instances as found on Asset.

Simon seems to be working at that for the Mac. I am hoping it will allow you to apply different properties to each instance so that what you use most is top of the list in each (e.g. artist, album in POP and composer, conductor, orchestra in CLASSICAL).
09-06-2019, 22:48
(09-06-2019 20:22)uncl_nigel Wrote:  Simon seems to be working at that for the Mac. I am hoping it will allow you to apply different properties to each instance so that what you use most is top of the list in each (e.g. artist, album in POP and composer, conductor, orchestra in CLASSICAL).

To be very clear about this, it is a lot of work to support this and I cannot promise that it will happen. If it does happen, it will not happen soon.