Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Synology DSM 4.2 OK with Minimserver now?
23-03-2013, 19:47
Is Synology DSM 4.2 OK with Minimserver now?
I saw the thread about problems with DSM 4.2. I got lost in all the java and python stuff. What's the bottom line as of today -- is it OK to install 4.2 or is it safer to stick with 4.1? (I just upgraded to a more powerful NAS and I think it's easier to move to 4.2 now, if I'm going to do so, before I install java and minimserver, rather than later on.)

Thanks - David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2013, 20:34
RE: Is Synology DSM 4.2 OK with Minimserver now?
(23-03-2013 19:47)magister Wrote:  I saw the thread about problems with DSM 4.2. I got lost in all the java and python stuff. What's the bottom line as of today -- is it OK to install 4.2 or is it safer to stick with 4.1? (I just upgraded to a more powerful NAS and I think it's easier to move to 4.2 now, if I'm going to do so, before I install java and minimserver, rather than later on.)

Thanks - David

Hi David, yes the MinimServer 0.63.5 package should work with DSM 4.2 without problems.
There has been two issues, one related to the new Synology package 'Java Manager' which is available for x86 devices with DSM 4.2 and the other was related to the DSM 4.2 firmware itself. Both of these problems are fixed now.
Please report back how it works for you. Thanks!
24-03-2013, 00:05
Thanks, winxi -- I'll let you all know how it goes.

David
24-03-2013, 22:12
Everything seems to be OK after a few hours with 4.2. (Well, I have a couple of problems, according to the log, but those are tagging errors and one particular file that seems to have gotten corrupted -- nothing to do with 4.2 per se.) And MinimServer now smoothly transcodes files recorded at 176 and 192, which gave it hiccups with the less powerful DS112j.

I continue to be very impressed with the Synology software; after moving from a one-bay to a two-bay NAS, I had to do some new things like set up a RAID volume, and everything worked without problem and was easy to manage.

Thanks again to winxi for making the Synology package available.

David