Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ReplayGain does not work in AIFF file
06-03-2019, 09:06
ReplayGain does not work in AIFF file
Hello,

ReplayGain does not work with AIFF file. (stream.options: convOut=-af volume=replaygain=track)
ReplayGain works correctly with FLAC or Apple Lossless file converted from same AIFF file.
I confirmed the tag with foobar 2000, but the tag of ReplayGain is correctly written in any file.
However, AIFF is written in the wiki as follows, it seems to be slightly different from other formats.

".aiff, .aif, .aifc (Apple Interchange File Format) – ID3v2 (in "ID3" IFF chunk)"
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?ti...cification

Also, I tried specifying aiff:wav24 with stream.transcode, but ReplayGain does not work. (Conversion to WAV is working correctly)
In Asset UPnP, if convert aiff as wav, ReplayGain will work correctly.
However I prefer MinimServer to Asset UPnP.
Therefore, I'd like to make ReplayGain work correctly for AIFF on MinimServer.
Is there a way to solve this problem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2019, 09:49
RE: ReplayGain does not work in AIFF file
Please upload your original AIFF file to my FTP server and I will investigate the issue. I will send you a PM with the server details.
06-03-2019, 10:14
(06-03-2019 09:49)simoncn Wrote:  Please upload your original AIFF file to my FTP server and I will investigate the issue. I will send you a PM with the server details.

Hi Simon,

I uploaded the files.

Best regards,
yaslam
07-03-2019, 00:32
I have reproduced the problem with your AIFF file and also with other AIFF files containing replay gain tags.

With most file formats, the tags precede the audio data. With all the AIFF files I have used for these tests, the tags follow the audio data. It is possible that when FFmpeg is transcoding, it needs to read the replay gain tags before it starts to read the audio data.
07-03-2019, 08:00
(07-03-2019 00:32)simoncn Wrote:  I have reproduced the problem with your AIFF file and also with other AIFF files containing replay gain tags.

With most file formats, the tags precede the audio data. With all the AIFF files I have used for these tests, the tags follow the audio data. It is possible that when FFmpeg is transcoding, it needs to read the replay gain tags before it starts to read the audio data.

Thank you for investigating AIFF's ReplayGain.
Is it possible to support AIFF's ReplayGain in MinimServer?
07-03-2019, 10:49
MinimServer uses FFmpeg for ReplayGain processing. To solve this problem, it will be necessary to find a way to make AIFF files with ReplyGain tags work with FFmpeg.
07-03-2019, 16:02
The problem isn't caused by the position of the tags in the file. I tried editing an AIFF file to make the tags come first but this didn't fix the problem.
14-03-2019, 13:29
(07-03-2019 16:02)simoncn Wrote:  The problem isn't caused by the position of the tags in the file. I tried editing an AIFF file to make the tags come first but this didn't fix the problem.

Hi,

I tried to convert each format file to WAV with ffmpeg command.
FLAC and ALAC were exported ReplayGain as metada, but not in AIFF.

Code:
Side data
  replaygain track gain - -10.880000, track peak - 0.000023, album gain - -10.880000, album peak - 0.000023,

I posted about it in the FFmpeg forum and was told that there is no code to export ReplayGain in the source code that decodes AIFF. (libavformat/aiffdec.c)
The person who taught me issued a patch to fix it.
I applied the patch to the FFmpeg source and compiled it and tried it. It works ReplayGain correctly with AIFF file.
If that patch is incorporated into a future release of FFmpeg, then ReplayGain will work with AIFF.
This problem has been resolved.
Thank you.
14-03-2019, 13:36
Thanks very much for doing all this. I did some testing with other filetypes and FFmpeg has the same problem with not exporting ReplayGain information from WAV files. Could you pass this information to your contact in FFmpeg so that WAV can be supported for ReplayGain in a future version? Many thanks.
15-03-2019, 15:21
(14-03-2019 13:36)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks very much for doing all this. I did some testing with other filetypes and FFmpeg has the same problem with not exporting ReplayGain information from WAV files. Could you pass this information to your contact in FFmpeg so that WAV can be supported for ReplayGain in a future version? Many thanks.

I posted request of support WAV's metadata that include ReplayGain in FFmpeg forum.
I will inform you if there's any progress.
Thank you.