Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incorrect Track Number being passed to control point
26-02-2019, 21:42
RE: Incorrect Track Number being passed to control point
I did consider how best to use tracknumber, and my thinking was that whilst using a 1-x, 1-x, 1-x for multidisc compilations/albums does represent the actual layout of the medium being used, it's only that way because of it's inherent limitations, if music had always been streamed - or the discs were bigger - you would never have had this situation, so whilst retaining the sequence of tracks is important, the implemtation specifics are less so (apart from for routinely verifying with CUETools as I've mentioned before).

Each to their own though; some people even put the disc number in the album name :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2019, 11:42
(26-02-2019 21:42)simbun Wrote:  I did consider how best to use tracknumber, and my thinking was that whilst using a 1-x, 1-x, 1-x for multidisc compilations/albums does represent the actual layout of the medium being used, it's only that way because of it's inherent limitations, if music had always been streamed - or the discs were bigger
True, but if you think of discs as a physical limitation you don't want to see why are you now splitting up the tracks between discs. i.e either have a single disc, or have multiple tracks and tracks numbered within disc.

FWIW in my own tagger software I have added a custom field called SINGLEDISCTRACKNO that numbers the tracks on a release as if just one disc, then i use the regular TRACkNO, DISCNO fields as intended, so I have the best of both worlds.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2019, 14:16
I need to retain disc number so I can run verify passes with CUETools. If I'm making global changes (like changing track number from 1-x per release to 1-x per disc, and thus filename conventions to [DiscNumber].[TrackNumber]....), before I perform a full backup I'll typically run a verify pass to make sure nothing has been screwed up e.g. forgot to change the filename references in the .cue sheets.
Find all posts by this user