Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best client for macOS / iOS?
15-02-2019, 13:14
RE: Best client for macOS / iOS?
(15-02-2019 11:55)timster Wrote:  Ahhh, was that an oblique reference to that other thing called, dare I say it, roon? Wink

No, not at all. The OP was expressing a desire for an as-few-turning-wheels-as-possible kind of setup. I don't think Roon fits this description. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2019, 13:21
(15-02-2019 13:14)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-02-2019 11:55)timster Wrote:  Ahhh, was that an oblique reference to that other thing called, dare I say it, roon? Wink

No, not at all. The OP was expressing a desire for an as-few-turning-wheels-as-possible kind of setup. I don't think Roon fits this description. Smile

I think it does actually. The core would sit on the Mac, as would the control. He can point roon to his NAS and hey presto. I think it would even play on the Mac.
15-02-2019, 16:06 (This post was last modified: 15-02-2019 16:12 by paultaylor.)
(15-02-2019 11:50)timster Wrote:  Then again, the minimum requirement is for a server, a player, and a controller. I guess if you choose to have the server on another machine (NAS) then you still need a player and controller on the Mac that can talk to the server. Can't really get around that.
No at all.

In the same way the server can run on one computer and be controlled via a webbrowser on another computer there is no reason why a controller app couldn't also be installed on same server and controlled via webbrowser on the Mac ecetera, it is something I have thought about, that way you can provide same user interface on everything PC, Mac, iPad, Android phone ecetera as long as you make your web interface responsive

That is basically the way that some solutions already work such as https://volumio.org/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2019, 17:02
(15-02-2019 16:06)paultaylor Wrote:  
(15-02-2019 11:50)timster Wrote:  Then again, the minimum requirement is for a server, a player, and a controller. I guess if you choose to have the server on another machine (NAS) then you still need a player and controller on the Mac that can talk to the server. Can't really get around that.
No at all.

In the same way the server can run on one computer and be controlled via a webbrowser on another computer there is no reason why a controller app couldn't also be installed on same server and controlled via webbrowser on the Mac ecetera, it is something I have thought about, that way you can provide same user interface on everything PC, Mac, iPad, Android phone ecetera as long as you make your web interface responsive

That is basically the way that some solutions already work such as https://volumio.org/

I was really meaning the 3 elements as separate entities being the minimum needed. Whether they are bundled together or not was what I was getting at - if the server part is on a NAS then it can't be. Essentially roon is split into a server (core) and the control is bundled in with a player.
Even a web based controller is just that. Not a server or renderer.
15-02-2019, 20:43
(15-02-2019 13:21)timster Wrote:  I think it does actually. The core would sit on the Mac, as would the control. He can point roon to his NAS and hey presto. I think it would even play on the Mac.

Isn't the Roon core a very large and heavy turning wheel?
15-02-2019, 23:20 (This post was last modified: 15-02-2019 23:20 by paultaylor.)
Quote:I was really meaning the 3 elements as separate entities being the minimum needed. Whether they are bundled together or not was what I was getting at - if the server part is on a NAS then it can't be. Essentially roon is split into a server (core) and the control is bundled in with a player.
Ok i was referring to you saying the controller has to be on the mac, it does not. You could install a server and controller on the nas and just control them via webbrowser on mac. The server/controller could in fact be a single application.
16-02-2019, 07:56
(15-02-2019 20:43)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-02-2019 13:21)timster Wrote:  I think it does actually. The core would sit on the Mac, as would the control. He can point roon to his NAS and hey presto. I think it would even play on the Mac.

Isn't the Roon core a very large and heavy turning wheel?

Yes it is, and it's not cheap either. That may be the cost of an all bells and whistles type thing the OP wants!
16-02-2019, 07:58
(15-02-2019 23:20)paultaylor Wrote:  
Quote:I was really meaning the 3 elements as separate entities being the minimum needed. Whether they are bundled together or not was what I was getting at - if the server part is on a NAS then it can't be. Essentially roon is split into a server (core) and the control is bundled in with a player.
Ok i was referring to you saying the controller has to be on the mac, it does not. You could install a server and controller on the nas and just control them via webbrowser on mac. The server/controller could in fact be a single application.

OK, but to access it still requires another application (even if it just a web browser). I think the OP was dreaming of an all-in-one, single install thing that does everything Wink
16-02-2019, 16:37
(16-02-2019 07:58)timster Wrote:  OK, but to access it still requires another application (even if it just a web browser). I think the OP was dreaming of an all-in-one, single install thing that does everything Wink
Hardly, you are not going to have a computer/phone without a webbrowser, its not like you are going to have to install a webbrowser especially to use the described tool. If I told you about a cool website you wouldn't say, sounds good but I don't want to use it because I would have to install a webbrowser to access it.

So the described UPNP Controller/Server tool would just mean one install on server, and then you would need a renderer but this would probably come preinstalled with the player hardware. So to my mind this would be simpler then Roon, and certainly require alot less resource.
24-02-2019, 11:35
My favourite controller/renderer for iOS is Glider Music Player. It’s a little expensive, but it’s pretty and working relatively well. Blush

Supports UPnP/DLNA, OpenHome, MPD, Airplay, Chromecast.

https://glideraudio.com/