Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FLAC Files with the ">" Character in File Name Won't Play
07-01-2019, 16:38
RE: FLAC Files with the ">" Character in File Name Won't Play
So - just because I've been following the thread - would flac:wav24 without the semicolon also cure the problem? Or can't Minimserver transcode without ffmpeg on the Melco?

I don't have one myself, but it's one of those things I keep looking at when I'm flush. Although, I always end up upgrading something else instead... Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2019, 17:34
Yes, flac:wav24 would work OK with 0.8.5.2 on the Melco, but it is always good to be on the latest version. Smile
07-01-2019, 18:05
Indeed it is. Smile
08-01-2019, 02:42 (This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 03:14 by GreenMtnGringo.)
Hi Simon, thanks very much. I do not know how the "right-pointing double angle quotation mark" Unicode character '»' got into my FLAC file names. I believe you that they're there, but I would not know how to type '»' if I wanted to (I didn't type it here ... I simply copied and pasted it from your post, above!). As best as I can recall, I used the '>' character on a USA QWERTY keyboard (the one above the period). Maybe my FLAC tagging software (Mp3tag) is the culprit? In any event, I will try updating to 0.8.5.4, see what happens, and report back here. Thanks again, I greatly appreciate it!

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 -> USB -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 -> I2S -> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. -> XLR -> Mark Levinson No. 326S -> RCA -> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) -> RCA -> Bryston 4B3 -> Magnepan .7
08-01-2019, 05:18 (This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 05:21 by GreenMtnGringo.)
UPDATE: I just updated from MinimServer 0.8.5.2 to 0.8.5.4, set my stream.transcode setting back to "flac:wav24;" (without the quotes) and tried two FLAC files with a '»' character in the file name. I am happy to report that all is well now with file playback!

One potential wrinkle is a new "resource not available" warning in red text that I receive when I check for MinimServer updates (see attached screen shot). Simon, is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks very much.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 -> USB -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 -> I2S -> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. -> XLR -> Mark Levinson No. 326S -> RCA -> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) -> RCA -> Bryston 4B3 -> Magnepan .7
08-01-2019, 09:24
The "resource not available message" is fixed now. Thanks for letting me know about this.

It is likely that your ripping or tagging software is translating > to » automatically in filenames because > isn't a valid character for filenames on some platforms.
08-01-2019, 14:09
Thanks, Simon ... great detective work and product support.