Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to lower the volume from minimserver
04-01-2019, 01:06
How to lower the volume from minimserver
Hi everyone,
I would like to lower the volume of any files of any format (flac, wav, dsf...) at about -10dB at least...
is this possible and what would be the code to enter in the minimwatch module?
thanks in advance
regards,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2019, 07:51
RE: How to lower the volume from minimserver
(04-01-2019 01:06)gloubibulles Wrote:  Hi everyone,
I would like to lower the volume of any files of any format (flac, wav, dsf...) at about -10dB at least...
thanks in advance
regards,

Why would you want to do that? Your player volume control does the job. Or do you really want to apply a replay gain to normalise everything?
04-01-2019, 15:05
(04-01-2019 07:51)timster Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 01:06)gloubibulles Wrote:  Hi everyone,
thanks in advance
regards,

Why would you want to do that? Your player volume control does the job. Or do you really want to apply a replay gain to normalise everything?

the thing is I have a new amp (a LFD LE MKV) for my Lumin A1 and now the sound is way to loud and I cannot use the LFD amp volume more than 7 o'clock, with a pb of balance between the right and left channel (cf. crosstalk issue between 6 and 7 o'clock on these kinds of amp)
So, I only have 2 solutions: use the volume control and the Lumin App (with loss on sound quality) or lower the gain via Minimserver...
thanks for your help !!!!
04-01-2019, 18:10
I'm lost.
04-01-2019, 19:46
(04-01-2019 18:10)timster Wrote:  I'm lost.
You are not the only one.
05-01-2019, 17:41
It sounds like you have a resistance mismatch between the Lumin and your amp. In the Lumin app there is an option to reduce the analog audio output level by -4db, have you tried this yet?
06-01-2019, 15:59
hello
Indeed, I've tried this option in the Lumin app to reduce the analog audio output level (-4ds indeed), but it's not enough... the sound is still very loud :-(
I could use the volume control of the Lumin app to reduce it, but I've noticed that the quality is not as good when disabled (100 out of 100)
that's why I wanted to know if there's a way to have Minimserver "do the job" instead of the Lumin... Is there any code to have Minimserver reduce the gain of the files it sends to the Lumin via my Synology Nas?
thanx again for your help
06-01-2019, 18:32 (This post was last modified: 06-01-2019 19:49 by simoncn.)
You could transcode everything to WAV using MinimStreamer and use the convOut setting in stream.options to reduce the volume. It seems unlikely that this would produce better results than using the LUMIN volume control but it might be worth a try.

To reduce the volume by 10 dB, the setting would be:

convOut=-af volume=-10dB

Make sure you spell dB correctly (lower-case d, upper-case B).

Also, if you are playing FLAC files, you need to set flac:wav; (semicolon at end) in stream.transcode rather than flac:wav. The semicolon at the end tells MinimStreamer to use an external converter program (ffmpeg or avconv) instead of the internal converter in MinimStreamer.
07-01-2019, 10:57
I used to have a similar issue, only not with all recordings.

There can be really big differences between the output levels on different recordings (CD's). This can be seen by doing a replay gain scanning.
Many older recordings have a (for me) fine output level, showing RG levels around 0. Other, mostly albums from approx 2000 and forward, can have an album RG level of -10dB or more.

My goal was to 1) harmonize (more or less) the output levels for all albums, 2) the level should be similar to the older cd's, so this should be achieved by adjusting the louder recordings to a level similar to the older ones (value close to 0). And 3) I wanted to keep the quality of the rips in full WAV quality.

To achieve this I have converted all albums with an RG value of -3 or more to FLAC, added Replay Gain tags (album) to the FLAC files, and have Minimserver transcoding FLAC to WAV on playback.
(The conversion to FLAC was necessary because my renderer doesn't handle RG tags, so reducing the output is done while transcoding to WAV)

To me this works very well. Most cd's are reduced by about 8-10 dB, some a little less, others a little more. The output level can vary slightly from album to album, but rarely so much that I want to adjust the volume on the amp.

I would recommend you to do the same, or at least try this as well, rather than simply reducing the output by 10 dB on ALL albums.

Claus
08-01-2019, 12:12
(07-01-2019 10:57)ClausDK Wrote:  I used to have a similar issue, only not with all recordings.

There can be really big differences between the output levels on different recordings (CD's). This can be seen by doing a replay gain scanning.
Many older recordings have a (for me) fine output level, showing RG levels around 0. Other, mostly albums from approx 2000 and forward, can have an album RG level of -10dB or more.

My goal was to 1) harmonize (more or less) the output levels for all albums, 2) the level should be similar to the older cd's, so this should be achieved by adjusting the louder recordings to a level similar to the older ones (value close to 0). And 3) I wanted to keep the quality of the rips in full WAV quality.

To achieve this I have converted all albums with an RG value of -3 or more to FLAC, added Replay Gain tags (album) to the FLAC files, and have Minimserver transcoding FLAC to WAV on playback.
(The conversion to FLAC was necessary because my renderer doesn't handle RG tags, so reducing the output is done while transcoding to WAV)

To me this works very well. Most cd's are reduced by about 8-10 dB, some a little less, others a little more. The output level can vary slightly from album to album, but rarely so much that I want to adjust the volume on the amp.

I would recommend you to do the same, or at least try this as well, rather than simply reducing the output by 10 dB on ALL albums.

Claus

Thank you for your answer!
What would be the codes to enter (and where in Minimserver o Minimstreamer?) to do just like you say?
thanks again!!!