Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reloading Minimserver on Melco N1
30-12-2018, 08:42
Reloading Minimserver on Melco N1
Recently Melco upgraded to 3.90 and I will admit from the outset that I’m not great with instructions and as a consequence I have now had to reinstall Minimserver . I have done it before , on a Synology NAS and on the Melco twice , the second time after lightning knocked out the home router and the Melco . So , here is what is happening , after loading Minimserver 0.8.5.4. on a USB stick and doing as per instructions it all comes to nought no matter which process I’m using upgrading or installing. I’m not great with computers but I suspect that when mounting the installer on the stick it’s not doing it’s job of unzipping the file as the only response from the Melco is file not found , error 120 ( are using the correct port ) . Also after doing a bit of research about Terminal I’m wondering about this message that appears after putting in the password .
did: /dev/VERBATIM: Operation not permitted
logout.
VERBATIM being the USB device
Any thoughts .
Leigh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2018, 10:57 (This post was last modified: 30-12-2018 11:05 by simoncn.)
RE: Reloading Minimserver on Melco N1
Please follow the instructions for installing MinimServer, not upgrading.

Are you having a problem when creating the USB flash drive or when using the USB flash drive to install MinimServer?

If the problem is with creating the USB flash drive, are you using a Windows PC or a Mac to do this?

If the problem is with using the USB flash drive to install MinimServer, take the numbered steps one at a time and post back here if any of the steps doesn't produce the result described in the instructions, saying which step isn't working and exactly what you are seeing.
31-12-2018, 11:57
(30-12-2018 10:57)simoncn Wrote:  Please follow the instructions for installing MinimServer, not upgrading.

Are you having a problem when creating the USB flash drive or when using the USB flash drive to install MinimServer?

If the problem is with creating the USB flash drive, are you using a Windows PC or a Mac to do this?

If the problem is with using the USB flash drive to install MinimServer, take the numbered steps one at a time and post back here if any of the steps doesn't produce the result described in the instructions, saying which step isn't working and exactly what you are seeing.
Hi Simon ,
I’ve just sent you an extensive report on what I was doing with Minimserver 0.8.5.4 and the USB drive mounting etc using MacBook plus a screenshot of the Terminal dialogue , refer above , but unfortunately it was all a bit too big and my message was deleted. So Ive let you down , suffice to say that I was right as far as I know that the Mac wasn’t allowing the installation of the file on the USB stick because it occurred to me , after three days of following your instructions to a T , that I had another USB stick formatted for Windows with MinimS . 0.8.5.2 installed on it , so within fifteen minutes I had 0.8.5.4 installed on the Melco courtesy of an old Windows PC that I found in a cupboard . What is it that Mac doesn’t like with these foreign incursions . I’m sure you know the answer , what do I have to do that will enable me to use my Mac for such situations in the future .
Regards and all the best for 2019
Leigh
31-12-2018, 13:39
I'm glad to hear your installation of 0.8.5.4 has been successful. I'm not sure why the create-installer script on the Mac didn't work for you. Perhaps there is some problem with the USB stick you were using. It should be OK if you use the same USB stick that was working for you on Windows.