Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
resampling with DS112+
30-11-2018, 14:45
resampling with DS112+
Hi

I run minimserver on a synology NAS (DS112+) and use a Chromecast audio as renderer + Bubble UPNP as control point. Everything works as a charm except this irritating issue : I have some intermittent audio dropouts while playing 96kHz files or upper.

I guess this is caused by my wifi connection being too slow. So I tried to downsample the files with minimstreamer using the following command : flac:wav;44.

Unfortunately this doesn’t work as expected : the CPU load raise to 99% and I get even more dropouts.

Is there any solution to reduce the CPU usage, or the DS112+ is simply not powerfull enough to perform resampling ? I would be interested to know if someone managed to use resampling with similar hardware configuration.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2018, 18:08
RE: resampling with DS112+
Your NAS should be able to transcode 96kHz FLAC files that were encoded with FLAC compression level 2 or less. For compression levels of 3 or more, floating-point operations are required for decoding. Your NAS doesn't have hardware floating-point support, hence the high CPU.
14-12-2018, 17:46
Thank you for the support Simon. I’ve tried to re-encode some FLAC files with compression level 2 using dbpoweramp, but CPU load was still too high. It seems I will have to live with the dropouts until I upgrade to a more efficient network Sad
14-12-2018, 22:37
Assuming these are 24/96 files, you could try reducing the bit depth to 16 bits without changing the sample rate. This would reduce network load by 33% and would use less CPU than changing the sample rate. The stream.transcode setting for this is either flac:wav16 (no semicolon, uses Java to transcode) or flac:wav16; (with semicolon, uses FFmpeg to transcode).