Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displaying the same album across multiple box sets
13-11-2018, 12:51
Displaying the same album across multiple box sets
I have both the Beatles Mono and Stereo box sets and getting them to display how I'd like is giving me a headache.
The album 'A Hard Day's Night' exists in both, same disc and track numbers.
My current tagging has both Albums as 'A Hard Day's Night', with a custom tag BOXTITLE of 'The Beatles in Mono' and 'The Beatles'.

I'd like in the control point to have them appear under 'Beatles, The' as a single container of 'A Hard Day's Night', and then to somehow seperate them at the next level, the problem is the discnumber is the same so I can't set discsubtitle or group.
Given I believe MinimServer is using album and discnumber as the top level grouping element (and that I wanted to maintain album) I was hoping to change discnumber (in MinimServer) to something that would differentiate the two, like appending Boxtitle to it, but it doesn't seem to work. I've put Discnumber.merge={Boxtitle} under TagValue but I still get the same errors.

Error: group contains tracks that aren't consecutive: Stereo Remaster in album A Hard Day's Night
Error: group contains tracks that aren't consecutive: Mono Remaster in album A Hard Day's Night

I know it's processing the tagValue as it complains if I change it to Discnumber.merge={BoxtitleXYZ} but maybe at a point later in the processing.

Any ideas on how this can be achieved, or how you would tag it differently?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2018, 15:52
RE: Displaying the same album across multiple box sets
Why don'y you tag the albums like that:

'A Hard Day's Night (Mono)'

'A Hard Day's Night (Stereo)'
14-11-2018, 11:04
I appreciate that I can change the name of the Album to differenciate the two, but my goal was to have a single container at the Album level.

For testing, if I change the discnumber on one of the Albums (or change the track numbers so they don't overlap) and set GROUP to Stereo remaster/Mono remaster it does present how I would like, although once you drill down from Album the next page in its header section shows the details for the first album (genre is concatenated) but I could live with that.

So we're back to the original question, is there any way I can force this behaviour of GROUP given its normal constraints? That or has someone come up with a better approach?

By the way I'm not proposing to store this data (Stereo remaster/Mono remaster) in GROUP, in reality it would be derived from other tags.

Thanks all
14-11-2018, 11:51
You could make the mono album disc 1 and the stereo album disc 2 (or vice versa), then use DISCSUBTITLE (rather than GROUP) to name the discs as 'Stereo remaster' and 'Mono remaster'.
14-11-2018, 15:35
As much as I'd like it to look nice in the UI I wouldn't want that to be at the expense of the tags themselves.

Having given up on the idea that I could get this displayed the way I want I went down the route of displaying the album twice by changing the Album via MinimServer using a tagFormat of Album.displayFormat={$album^$boxtitle^ (^)} but this displays as a single album with concatenated Box set names [A Hard Day's Night (The Beatles, The Beatles in Mono) ], at which point the tracks are intermixed when you drill through.

Finally I tried a tagValue of Album.merge={boxtitle}, but this gives me errors for all the tracks in the album

Scanning directory The Beatles In Mono
Warning: conflicting ALBUM tag value The Beatles In Mono ignored for file Beatles, The/The Beatles In Mono/029 - A Hard Day's Night.flac
Warning: conflicting ALBUM tag value The Beatles In Mono ignored for file Beatles, The/The Beatles In Mono/030 - I Should Have Known Better.flac
Warning: conflicting ALBUM tag value The Beatles In Mono ignored for file Beatles, The/The Beatles In Mono/031 - If I Fell.flac

Looks like I may need a little more reading around this as I was hoping that I'd simply be able to change the value of the album tag using the pre-processing and MinimServer would treat it as though it WAS the album tag.
15-11-2018, 06:04 (This post was last modified: 15-11-2018 06:05 by antonmb.)
I think Simon’s approach is the easiest: tag them as disc 1 of 2 and 2 of 2, then add discsubtitle “Mono” and “Stereo”. Depending on the control point you use, once you have a subtitle applied to each disc you won’t see the disc number. I’ve done this with a couple of discs and it displays well in Kazoo.
15-11-2018, 09:39
Using Album.displayFormat to change the album name isn't doing what you want because this is applied after album groupings are determined.

Using Album.merge isn't working because this adds an additional ALBUM tag rather than combining the values for Album and Boxtitle into a single Album value.

If you have only a small number of albums that you want to handle in this way, you could use a tag update file with entries like the following:

@ALBUM=A Hard Day's Night
&BOXTITLE=The Beatles
=ALBUM=A Hard Day's Night (The Beatles)

@ALBUM=A Hard Day's Night
&BOXTITLE=The Beatles in Mono
=ALBUM=A Hard Day's Night (The Beatles in Mono)
15-11-2018, 12:30
When tagging I have a defined set of tags that will ALWAYS be populated:

ALBUM
ALBUMARTIST
GENRE
DATE
COVER
DISCNUMBER
TRACKNUMBER
ARTIST
TITLE

The next most populated is probably RELEASE where I put:
Code:
ALBUM                                        RELEASE
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band        Super Deluxe Edition
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band        Mono Remaster
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band        Stereo Remaster

I believe this models most cleanly the elements of album. The folder structure follows this and thus each are in separate folders.

Given what you said above about the processing of Album.displayFormat and Album.merge I was hoping that I'd be able to keep them separate in the UI by setting mergeFolderAlbums to false (from the user guide: If set to true, MinimServer automatically merges album tracks from different folders. See the Albums and folders section for details), but reading more into the detail it turns out it's on by default and if you populate DISCNUMBER there's no way to turn it off!

Quote:MinimServer merges album contents from different folders if ANY of the following apply:
The folder album contents include a DISCNUMBER tag
The folder album name is suffixed by the string [disc <n>], (disc <n>) or , disc <n>, where <n> is a positive integer (see the Multidisc albums section)
The folder album contents include a DISCSUBTITLE tag
The folder name contains the string [part]
The mergeFolderAlbums property is set to true
Surely setting mergeFolderAlbums to false should tell MinimServer not to merge across folders?

I appreciate the advice on the tag update file but I'd rather it all be tag based so the only option I can really think of (without butchering the tags) is to create an ALBUM tag just for MinimServer.

Thanks for your help.
15-11-2018, 16:48
If mergeFolderAlbums is set to false, single-disc albums are not merged across folders but multidisc albums are merged. To prevent merging of multidisc albums across folders, you can use a match filter (see this section). The match filter is part of the folder name and can be set to any value of your choosing that describes the album version in that folder.
15-11-2018, 21:13
Single-disc albums do get merged if a multidisc album exists, but I think your point was that if only single-disc albums exist they won't be merged.

By utilising the match filter on multidisc albums it looks like I should be able to force the behaviour I want, and I should be able to integrate this logic into the folder creation code.

Thanks for your patience and your time invested in developing and supporting such a strong piece of software.