Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Control point can't see library
31-10-2018, 21:26
Control point can't see library
Easily installed and regularly use MS in Indiana, so I'm no longer a complete novice. Now in Florida winter condo: same WD drive with music files, same iPad control point (brought them with me), same type of Dell PC to which WD is attached by USB. Same type of renderer (Cambridge CXN - liked it so much I bought another for Florida). Different modem of course: Linksys E2500. App on iPad sees Tidal but not MS.

MS icon is in toolbar, green, and mousing it gives "MinimServer is running." I rebooted everything as instructed in Help. No effect.

It will be a long winter if I can't access my music. Any suggestions? buy a newer modem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2018, 10:27
RE: Control point can't see library
I presume you are running MinimServer on the PC. If so, is the PC connected to the E2500 via wi-fi or via an Ethernet cable? Also, is the "Filter Multicast" option checked or unchecked in the Security tab of the E2500 settings?

As MS is the common abbreviation for a large software company not associated with MinimServer, I would appreciate it if you didn't use it to refer to MinimServer. Many thanks.
01-11-2018, 13:13
(01-11-2018 10:27)simoncn Wrote:  I presume you are running MinimServer on the PC. If so, is the PC connected to the E2500 via wi-fi or via an Ethernet cable? Also, is the "Filter Multicast" option checked or unchecked in the Security tab of the E2500 settings?

As MS is the common abbreviation for a large software company not associated with MinimServer, I would appreciate it if you didn't use it to refer to MinimServer. Many thanks.

Thank you for the reply, Simon. I apologize for the abbreviation. The PC running MinimServer is connected by ethernet wire to the modem. Filter Multicast is unchecked. Is that the correct setting? By the way, internet radio works well on the CXN, so I doubt that wifi signal strength is the problem.
01-11-2018, 15:52
The network discovery protocol for UPnP devices requires multicast messaging across the network and it is the responsibility of the router (modem) to implement this. Unfortunately, some routers (modems) don't support multicast messaging or have a broken implementation. Other routers require certain configuration settings in order for multicast to work. In these cases, normal wireless traffic works OK but multicast messaging does not.

It is possible for some network switches to block multicast messaging by means of a feature called IGMP snooping. In your case, it seems that this doesn't apply as your PC is connected directly to the E2500.

Your router setting for Filter Multicast is correct. Pleae also check your UPnP settings. They should be as described in this post.

If this doesn't work, you could try configuring different SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless bands and connecting the iPad to each of these SSIDs to see if either of them works with multicast. Some routers support multicast on one of these frequencies but not the other.

If none of these ideas work, it is hard to know what else to suggest other than trying a different router.
01-11-2018, 20:17
(01-11-2018 15:52)simoncn Wrote:  The network discovery protocol for UPnP devices requires multicast messaging across the network and it is the responsibility of the router (modem) to implement this. Unfortunately, some routers (modems) don't support multicast messaging or have a broken implementation. Other routers require certain configuration settings in order for multicast to work. In these cases, normal wireless traffic works OK but multicast messaging does not.

It is possible for some network switches to block multicast messaging by means of a feature called IGMP snooping. In your case, it seems that this doesn't apply as your PC is connected directly to the E2500.

Your router setting for Filter Multicast is correct. Pleae also check your UPnP settings. They should be as described in this post.

If this doesn't work, you could try configuring different SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless bands and connecting the iPad to each of these SSIDs to see if either of them works with multicast. Some routers support multicast on one of these frequencies but not the other.

If none of these ideas work, it is hard to know what else to suggest other than trying a different router.

Thank you once more. My UPnP settings are as specified in the post you reference. Time to replace the older router with a new one. And hope.
01-11-2018, 23:23 (This post was last modified: 01-11-2018 23:25 by simoncn.)
One last thought: there could be a firewall or antivirus program running on the PC that is blocking access to MinimServer from other network devices. To check for this, try completely disabling the Windows firewall and your antivirus program if you have one running.

Also, check your MinimServer settings to see if you have the ohnet.subnet property set. If you do, you might need to remove or change this setting.
01-11-2018, 23:31
Thank you for your concern, Simon. Yes, I had thought of that and disabled both PC (Windows Defender) and router firewalls. Alas, it didn't help. I will try a new router.
02-11-2018, 21:59
Final report: New router gives higher signal level at the CXN streamer. But control point (Cambridge app on iPad) still cannot see MinimServer.I can of course plug my WD drive directly into the CXN's USB port to access my music (Yes, the control point sees it as a library). That lacks the flexibility of MinimServer. Thanks to Simon for trying to help. I have no idea why what works in Indiana -- even the same model router now -- doesn't work in Florida.
03-11-2018, 10:01
The problem isn't related to signal strength. What is the make and model of the new router?
03-11-2018, 13:45
ASUS AC1900P, the same router I have in Indiana, where MinimServer worked immediately and perfectly. This router has more elaborate settings than my previous one; I looked carefully for anything that might inhibit MinimServer.