Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Control point can't see library
03-11-2018, 20:26
RE: Control point can't see library
Solved: Windows Firewall for PUBLIC domains was blocking MinimServer. I had not removed this firewall previously because I'm at home on a private network, not on a public (e.g., coffeeshop) network. A Windows mystery, I guess, but MinimServer now works, at the cost of frequent warnings from Windows. I can't allow access through the operating firewall because mserver.jar is a Java program and Windows Firewall does not appear to allow .jar exclusions.

This remains a mystery to me. All firewalls are on in Indiana (by default), and MinimServer works.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2018, 21:50
This means that Windows has incorrectly identified your Florida home network as Public. You need to change it to Private in the Network and Sharing Center. This is probably the crucial difference between your Florida and Indiana setups.

In your Windows firewall, you need rules to allow inbound connections to Java TM Platform SE binary for both TCP and UDP. If you look in the firewall's Advanced settings, you will probably find rules blocking these inbound connections for Public networks. Enabling this access permits inbound connections to all Java programs, not just mserver.jar.
04-11-2018, 15:08
Ah -- For Private (not Public) mode, Windows 10 firewall default inbound rules have an exception allowing Java. So my network is now Private, all firewalls are on, and MinimServer is running. This explains why MinimServer worked in Indiana with no work on my part. I'm very grateful to Simon, and have made an appropriate donation to MinimServer development.
04-11-2018, 17:34
I'm glad we got there in the end. Discovery problems are tricky to diagnose because there are so many possible causes. Thanks very much for the donation and I'm sorry you have had the expense of buying a new router.