Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browse Hierarchy
03-10-2018, 10:12
Browse Hierarchy
Hello
I am using Minim Server on a TS-210 NAS from Qnap.
I stream music to my Denon DNP730-AE using an Android app named "HiFi cast" as control point.

I have a not so small music library, and it is composed of 2865 albums.

Usually when I tap on an "Artist" I get this menu:
on the top I see the total number of albums, then the number of items, then the date.

With some artists, not many, however I get a different menu:
on the top I can see the total number of items, and then sorted by row the albums related to the artist.
date is not available.

I have checked tagging (I use foobar for this) and the albums seems tagged all the same.

The folks at Hi-Fi cast told me this:

Cheers,
Brett

Are they right? Is there any option to make browser behavior more uniform?

Thanks and regards

Marco
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2018, 12:12
RE: Browse Hierarchy
An important feature of MinimServer is Intelligent Browsing. This omits a menu choice for a tag if there is only one value for this tag in the current browsing selection. In the case that you are describing, you are not seeing a Date choice for an artist if all the albums in your library by this artist have the same date. It isn't possible to disable this feature of MinimServer.
07-10-2018, 16:41
(03-10-2018 12:12)simoncn Wrote:  An important feature of MinimServer is Intelligent Browsing. This omits a menu choice for a tag if there is only one value for this tag in the current browsing selection. In the case that you are describing, you are not seeing a Date choice for an artist if all the albums in your library by this artist have the same date. It isn't possible to disable this feature of MinimServer.

Thanks.
the main point however is why I see total number of items instead of grouping by albums? It happens only when the albums are related, e.g they are part of the same work, such as "greatest hits 1" and "greatest hits 2" and when there are JUST 2 albums for the artist.
07-10-2018, 17:09
Please post a screenshot of what you are seeing.
10-10-2018, 22:37
(07-10-2018 17:09)simoncn Wrote:  Please post a screenshot of what you are seeing.

OK, I have attached 2 screenshot.

2 different artist, each with 2 albums in my library.

The one named "Mannoia" is what I would expect to see.

The one named "Milva" looks different and I do not understand why.

Many Thanks/Marco

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-10-2018, 08:36
This is happening because all the albums for the artist Milva have the same index tags, so no index tag menu choices (such as Date) are displayed. In this case, MinimServer displays all the albums as a list, as you are seeing. This happens with any number of albums (not just 2) and it isn't related to whether there is any relationship between the albums.

MinimServer uses this style of display in the "no index tags" case because there isn't any reason to display an "n albums" menu choice and make the user do an extra click to see the album names.
11-10-2018, 10:07
RE: Browse Hierarchy: SOLVED
(11-10-2018 08:36)simoncn Wrote:  This is happening because all the albums for the artist Milva have the same index tags, so no index tag menu choices (such as Date) are displayed. In this case, MinimServer displays all the albums as a list, as you are seeing. This happens with any number of albums (not just 2) and it isn't related to whether there is any relationship between the albums.

MinimServer uses this style of display in the "no index tags" case because there isn't any reason to display an "n albums" menu choice and make the user do an extra click to see the album names.

OK Simon, now I understand.
That's fine.

Thanks a lot/Ciao

Marco