Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help getting started, please
27-09-2018, 19:38 (This post was last modified: 27-09-2018 19:47 by statman.)
Help getting started, please
Downloaded, installed, launched MinimServer. The icon came up green (not yellow) immediately. Asked content directory, then went silent. The icon does not appear to be indexing my music, as it was green from the start. What have I done wrong, please?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2018, 06:13
RE: Help getting started, please
After you enter your content directory, you need to rescan. Click on the icon to show the drop-down menu, then select “rescan” or “restart.”
28-09-2018, 09:23
What platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, NAS) are you using to run MinimServer?
28-09-2018, 13:39
(28-09-2018 09:23)simoncn Wrote:  What platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, NAS) are you using to run MinimServer?

Windows 10. Have started ripping a large CD collection with dBpoweramp.
28-09-2018, 15:10
On Windows, the dialog to select a content directory should always be displayed by a yellow icon. After you select a valid directory, the icon should scan the contents and chage to green. I have not been able to reproduce the behaviour you described.
28-09-2018, 17:14
(28-09-2018 15:10)simoncn Wrote:  On Windows, the dialog to select a content directory should always be displayed by a yellow icon. After you select a valid directory, the icon should scan the contents and chage to green. I have not been able to reproduce the behaviour you described.

Thank you. I expected that behavior but have seen only green icon. I'm lost in many ways. When I launch Windows Media Player, it shows Minim as an alternative. I can see my ripped albums either in WMP or in Minim -- but even though I ripped classical albums with a naming convention that "should" show composer, WMP shows composer but Minim does not, opposite of what is expected.
28-09-2018, 17:27
To get composer information displayed by WMP, you need to change the tagCustom setting Composer.displayRole={artist} to Composer.displayRole={author}. It would also be a good idea to change AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist} to AlbumArtist.displayRole={author}. These changes are needed because WMP uses an unusual interpretation of the UPnP specification for how metadata is sent from the server to the control point.

Also, you will not get much benefit from using MinimServer as the server with WMP as the control point. This is because WMP shows its own browsing tree and not the "intelligent browsing" tree produced by MinimServer. For this, you need to use some other UPnP control point. What renderer do you use to play music? Do you have an Android or iOS device that you could use to run a control point app?
28-09-2018, 18:21
(28-09-2018 17:27)simoncn Wrote:  To get composer information displayed by WMP, you need to change the tagCustom setting Composer.displayRole={artist} to Composer.displayRole={author}. It would also be a good idea to change AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist} to AlbumArtist.displayRole={author}. These changes are needed because WMP uses an unusual interpretation of the UPnP specification for how metadata is sent from the server to the control point.

Also, you will not get much benefit from using MinimServer as the server with WMP as the control point. This is because WMP shows its own browsing tree and not the "intelligent browsing" tree produced by MinimServer. For this, you need to use some other UPnP control point. What renderer do you use to play music? Do you have an Android or iOS device that you could use to run a control point app?
28-09-2018, 18:24
Cambridge CXN v2. I also have an Android phone. I really am lost. (a) Please suggest a better control point. (b) Where do I make the name changes you suggest? I'm not familiar with tagCustom.
28-09-2018, 18:25
(28-09-2018 18:21)statman Wrote:  
(28-09-2018 17:27)simoncn Wrote:  To get composer information displayed by WMP, you need to change the tagCustom setting Composer.displayRole={artist} to Composer.displayRole={author}. It would also be a good idea to change AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist} to AlbumArtist.displayRole={author}. These changes are needed because WMP uses an unusual interpretation of the UPnP specification for how metadata is sent from the server to the control point.

Cambridge CXN v2. I also have an Android phone. I really am lost. (a) Please suggest a better control point. (b) Where do I make the name changes you suggest? I'm not familiar with tagCustom.