Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Full Rescan
20-09-2018, 06:07
Full Rescan
Hi

I've been having a couple of problems with inaccessible tracks (which exist and play on other servers). Did a couple of rescans...no change. Then googled this forum about MinimServer cache, found it on my Windows 10 PC, deleted it and performed a full rescan again. Problem solved Smile My question/observation really is that should a rescan not first delete the old cache automatically in order to benefit from any changed tags/file locations etc.? Apologies if this is a daft newbie question!

DDJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2018, 08:58
RE: Full Rescan
A full rescan reads information from every file. This takes a long time. A normal rescan doesn't read files that already have up-to-date cache information from the last rescan.

To check whether the cache information for a file is up to date, MinimServer looks at the modification time of the file and the length of the file. If you have updated a file's tags using a tagging program that doesn't change the modification time of the file (some tagging programs have a configuration setting to do this), MinimServer might think the file hasn't changed and might use cached information for the file.

The solution is to configure your tagging program to update the modification time of the file when any tags are changed.
20-09-2018, 14:30 (This post was last modified: 20-09-2018 14:31 by ddjksa.)
(20-09-2018 08:58)simoncn Wrote:  A full rescan reads information from every file. This takes a long time. A normal rescan doesn't read files that already have up-to-date cache information from the last rescan.

To check whether the cache information for a file is up to date, MinimServer looks at the modification time of the file and the length of the file. If you have updated a file's tags using a tagging program that doesn't change the modification time of the file (some tagging programs have a configuration setting to do this), MinimServer might think the file hasn't changed and might use cached information for the file.

The solution is to configure your tagging program to update the modification time of the file when any tags are changed.

Thanks for the explanation Simon...I tend to use TagScanner which does change the Modified Time when the Tags are updated but is probably some other glitch somewhere on my part

DDJ
20-09-2018, 14:55
One other small point: to force a full rescan, you can set the startupScan property to full. This (despite its name) also controls whether or not a user-initiated rescan will use cached information.