Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
advice for a single board computer with the sole purpose of running minimserver
16-09-2018, 11:28
advice for a single board computer with the sole purpose of running minimserver
Dear people, maybe someone can help me out with the following question.
I want to use a very small device that doesn't use too much energy to continously run minimserver. I currently have tried an older model of the raspberry pi, but this machine is too slow and it also appears that the USB controller and the ethernet controller share the same bandwith. Sinci I want to use an 4 TB USB drive as the source for the music files this is a no-go.

I want to run archlinux or debian (and no android) and I want to run a SAMBA server in order to keep my music library up to date.

Can someone help me out what board would be best suited for this purpose?

I am considering the Rock64 with 4GB memory, or maybe the odroid C2 but I'm a bit unsure if I will be happy with these boards.

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2018, 18:02
RE: advice for a single board computer with the sole purpose of running minimserver
To answer my own question: I went fot the rock64 4GB and installed archlinux on it taken from here: https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8...hip/rock64

Along with a usb drive connected to the USB3 port this works extremely well, snappy responses while browsing my large database. I can recommend this to anyone looking for a low power upnp server for mainly music.
24-10-2018, 22:38 (This post was last modified: 24-10-2018 22:38 by simoncn.)
RE: advice for a single board computer with the sole purpose of running minimserver
Thanks for posting this. There are a number of these boards out there and it is useful to hear people's experiences of using them as music servers.