Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multiple Directories
15-09-2018, 23:56
Multiple Directories
Hello Folks

I have started to use the Minim Server because of the fact it displays art work well and overall runs smoothly. I am currently accessing music files from a Synology NAS system with 2 separate volumes each with 4 tb of storage. I use my Android device with a program called MIND to select music to play over a DAC (MOON 280D) hooked to my main music system. The problem I am having is that I cannot select more than 1 directory from the Minim Server status page. I can only activate one. I have searched the forums and found older posts from over 5 years which do not seem to be beneficial to the current version..at least that is what I have found. I currently run version 8.5.3 update 24. Perhaps it is the MIND software which is the only software that will operate the DAC prohibits me from multiple directories. Any suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2018, 04:45 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2018 04:54 by antonmb.)
RE: Multiple Directories
In Minimwatch properties, to the right of the “contentDir” box where you enter the music directory, there is a “+” symbol. Click on this and another box will be added for an additional directory. Minimserver will then scan both directories. You can have up to 8 content directories.

[Image: i-FWtWdLS-M.png]
16-09-2018, 17:28
It occurred to me that I may not have understood exactly what you’re looking for. Are you trying to have both directories available as separate choices? If so, there are two ways to do this:

- you can run a second instance of Minimserver on another device on your network with the d directory specified as the source, e.g. if you have a pc or Mac. You should then have two instances of Minimserver to choose from in Mind.

- you can move both directories to a master directory, specific that as the directory for Minimserver, then access through Minimserver’s folder view. In folder view you can select one or the other sub-directory, and then convert to tag view if you wish.
16-09-2018, 19:36
(16-09-2018 17:28)antonmb Wrote:  - you can move both directories to a master directory, specific that as the directory for Minimserver, then access through Minimserver’s folder view. In folder view you can select one or the other sub-directory, and then convert to tag view if you wish.

For this, it isn't necessary to move any directories. The OP would only need to specify both directories using MinimWatch as you described in your earlier post.
16-09-2018, 19:54
Thanks Simon, I didn’t know that.
17-09-2018, 17:23
I am trying to set this up through A Synology NAS network. I have 2 separate volumes in my network instead of the usual duplicate mirrored drives set up for back up purposes. I t does not look like I can set up with multiple directories. I cannot pull up the menu like the one antonmb shows and describes on his post when choosing the directory for the NAS. I can pull up the menu on my PC desktop but that has nothing to do with the Synology set up and external devices (ie ANdroid tablet) controlling the Minim server. Might have something to do with the Synology download I suspect. There is a section in Minim archives on how to set up a directory on a Synology NAS drive. You will notice it shows an option on how to select a directory which shows only one directory an be allocated.
17-09-2018, 21:13
You need to download and install MinimWatch on your PC. You can use the MinimWatch properties page to set up multiple content directories for MinimServer on your NAS, as described by antonmb.
17-09-2018, 21:18
http://minimserver.com/synology/contentdir.html

As per link..Synology properties is the only way you can allocate a directory from what I can see. As you will see , the properties menu is nothing like the one posted . Please correct me if i am wrong.
17-09-2018, 21:41
(17-09-2018 21:18)Tucker Wrote:  http://minimserver.com/synology/contentdir.html

As per link..Synology properties is the only way you can allocate a directory from what I can see. As you will see , the properties menu is nothing like the one posted . Please correct me if i am wrong.

This page allows you to enter a single content directory. To enter more than one content directory, you need to use MinimWatch.
17-09-2018, 23:12
Yes that is Minim Server installed on the NAS. It seems to be the only MINIM software that I can download onto the NAS. How will a PC based software control my NAS? So if I can get the MINIM Watch to work on the PC, what you are saying is that it will allow me to allocate multiple directories even when the PC power is off? Because that is one of the main reasons I purchased the NAS drives. PC can be powered to off when I am accessing my music files. I do not want the PC on all the time.

What I mean by IF I can get it to work is that it does not seem to want to log on..keeps on retry attempt 32 and counting.

I am able to allocate multiple directories using Plex or even the Synolgy media center but do prefer the Minim Server. I want to get this going at all costs.