Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sorting Search Results
08-09-2018, 14:06 (This post was last modified: 08-09-2018 14:09 by ddjksa.)
Sorting Search Results
Couple or 3 of quick questions...

Is there a way to search sort results alphabetically eg. when I search for "Shame" and select "See all Songs" the list seems to be presented in a total random order, not by song title or by artist. Actually...maybe the list is presented in the order that Minimserver has scanned the media but by artist or full song title or folder would be much more useful.

Can I force the search to return only song titles with the single word "Shame" in it, no other words?

Finally is there a way to do a combined Boolean search, eg. song titles with "Shame" and artists with "Robbie"

Thanks again for any advice or help

DDJWink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2018, 07:29
RE: Sorting Search Results
(08-09-2018 14:06)ddjksa Wrote:  Couple or 3 of quick questions...

Is there a way to search sort results alphabetically eg. when I search for "Shame" and select "See all Songs" the list seems to be presented in a total random order, not by song title or by artist. Actually...maybe the list is presented in the order that Minimserver has scanned the media but by artist or full song title or folder would be much more useful.

Can I force the search to return only song titles with the single word "Shame" in it, no other words?

Finally is there a way to do a combined Boolean search, eg. song titles with "Shame" and artists with "Robbie"

DDJWink

Not sure about the sorting, but the search terms and format are fixed by a fixed UPnP standard, so I doubt it will allow complex terms. And even if it could, control points are unlikely to be consistent or even implement them.
Simon would know though.
09-09-2018, 14:09
(09-09-2018 07:29)timster Wrote:  
(08-09-2018 14:06)ddjksa Wrote:  Couple or 3 of quick questions...

DDJWink

Not sure about the sorting, but the search terms and format are fixed by a fixed UPnP standard, so I doubt it will allow complex terms. And even if it could, control points are unlikely to be consistent or even implement them.
Simon would know though.

Thanks Timster...it is a bit of a shame (pun intended!) that the search results are presented in a pseudo-random order especially if there's a lot to sift through. Would it be even possible to limit the search to a specific folder?

DDJ
09-09-2018, 14:36
From what I know of UPnP Search it doesn't work like that. There are specified search terms from the query end, and specified results from the server end. It isn't like searching "from here" as it were, nor can it be specific or conditional. It's just a string-match. A UPnP Search request tells the server to search the entire database for matches. It returns tracks, artists and albums that contain the string (and playlists sometimes).

Sorting is something Simon could have a look at. Artists and albums seem to be sorted in alphabetical order (but not ignoring "The" unfortunately). Tracks are odd - they are tracks that contain the search string, but returned in album title order from what I can see.

Asset does return things in a slightly more ordered way, but Minim isn't random, just maybe not what you expect.
09-09-2018, 14:37
By the way - if you ever try searching Tidal or Qobuz, the results can be a right mess sometimes!
10-09-2018, 07:01
(09-09-2018 14:37)timster Wrote:  By the way - if you ever try searching Tidal or Qobuz, the results can be a right mess sometimes!

Thanks for the replies Timster. Maybe part of the problem is the way my media is stored (Parent Music folder with child folders below eg Compilation Albums, Comedy, Artists & Bands etc.) if search results are returned in the order they're initially indexed. The nuisance in scrolling through a large list of results is more than offset by the speed with which Minim works on my 3TB+ collection. Can't fault it.

DDJShy
10-09-2018, 21:35
How are you doing this search? Is "See all Songs" something that your control point provides? If so, which control point is it?
10-09-2018, 21:39
(09-09-2018 14:36)timster Wrote:  A UPnP Search request tells the server to search the entire database for matches.

This isn't correct. A UPnP Search is always relative to a specific container. This can be the top-level container for the entire library or it can be any other container (for example, the current browsing selection).
11-09-2018, 07:08
(10-09-2018 21:39)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-09-2018 14:36)timster Wrote:  A UPnP Search request tells the server to search the entire database for matches.

This isn't correct. A UPnP Search is always relative to a specific container. This can be the top-level container for the entire library or it can be any other container (for example, the current browsing selection).

Really? Not so in Qobuz or Tidal. I must admit I've not tried on my own library with Minim much, but will give it a go.
11-09-2018, 09:16
Well, it must be the control point that has to send the relative part. Neither Kazoo nor Bubble return anything other than everything in the library, regardless of the selection you are in the browse tree.
But for the OP - I have found Bubble is brilliant with the search results. It collates them by album titles that contain the string, albums by artists that contain it, artists, tracks, and tracks by artists that contain it.
Wish all control points did that!