Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse Names
28-08-2018, 12:03
Reverse Names
Hi

I know this topic has been discussed before but if my library DOESN'T have ArtistSort or AlbumArtistSort tags, then is it still possible to display the artists in reverse order on my control point (ie. Tagged as Freddie Mercury but displays in my alphagroup sort under 'M' as Mercury, Freddie?

TIA

DDJBlush
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2018, 20:51
RE: Reverse Names
(28-08-2018 12:03)ddjksa Wrote:  Hi

I know this topic has been discussed before but if my library DOESN'T have ArtistSort or AlbumArtistSort tags, then is it still possible to display the artists in reverse order on my control point (ie. Tagged as Freddie Mercury but displays in my alphagroup sort under 'M' as Mercury, Freddie?

TIA

DDJBlush

Would the reverseName Tag option provide a solution.
28-08-2018, 21:10
No, because this works only in the opposite direction (i.e., when the tagged value is Mercury, Freddie).
29-08-2018, 05:29
(28-08-2018 20:51)Alandbush Wrote:  
(28-08-2018 12:03)ddjksa Wrote:  Hi

TIA

DDJBlush

Would the reverseName Tag option provide a solution.

Thanks for the reply Alan. Unfortunately my understanding (limited as it is) is that the ReverseName option only works if your library is already populated with ArtistSort tags. Mine isn't unfortunately.
29-08-2018, 05:31
(28-08-2018 21:10)simoncn Wrote:  No, because this works only in the opposite direction (i.e., when the tagged value is Mercury, Freddie).

Thanks Simon...no biggie anyway given the ease, speed and intuitiveness of the Intelligent Browsing navigation. Shy
29-08-2018, 08:19
(29-08-2018 05:29)ddjksa Wrote:  Thanks for the reply Alan. Unfortunately my understanding (limited as it is) is that the ReverseName option only works if your library is already populated with ArtistSort tags. Mine isn't unfortunately.

The reverseName option doesn't require ArtistSort tags but it does require the tagged Artist value to be in last-name-first format.
29-08-2018, 08:36
(29-08-2018 08:19)simoncn Wrote:  
(29-08-2018 05:29)ddjksa Wrote:  Thanks for the reply Alan. Unfortunately my understanding (limited as it is) is that the ReverseName option only works if your library is already populated with ArtistSort tags. Mine isn't unfortunately.

The reverseName option doesn't require ArtistSort tags but it does require the tagged Artist value to be in last-name-first format.

Ah....fair enough. Too much work to change them now in my 3TB+ collection...
31-08-2018, 09:32
Just curious:
"it does require the tagged Artist value to be in last-name-first format "

How does Minimserver know if the artist name tag is in first-name-first or last-name-first format ??

Claus
31-08-2018, 09:46 (This post was last modified: 31-08-2018 09:47 by simoncn.)
A last-name-first tag value has a comma after the last name(s), followed by the first name(s).
01-09-2018, 20:50
(29-08-2018 08:36)ddjksa Wrote:  Ah....fair enough. Too much work to change them now in my 3TB+ collection...
HI, I wont go into details here, but If you want this it would be easy enough to do this in SongKong without modifying any other metadata if you desired.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user