Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tag Conflicts
28-08-2018, 08:20
Tag Conflicts
Hi

Newbie here. First of all, what a great music server and so well supported. Big Thank you to the developer.

I've read several posts regarding the error log "Warning: conflicting ALBUM tag value..." and can understand the logic. My problem is I have looked at several of the rogue albums in MP3Tag, Zortam and Tag&Rename and for the life of me cannot see any conflicts. One post from Simon I think suggested examining the rogue files with a hex editor. Is there a simpler way to discover where the conflicts are, ie. a Tag Editor which shows ALL standards used? Failing this, is there a way to force minimserve to use eg. one standard for MP3 and one standard for FLAC or a setting to not report certain errors in the log? Quite happy to upload one of the rogue files for examination but would love to know how to correct these errors myself.

Thanks for any help

DDJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2018, 13:36 (This post was last modified: 28-08-2018 15:28 by paultaylor.)
RE: Tag Conflicts
(28-08-2018 08:20)ddjksa Wrote:  Hi

Newbie here. First of all, what a great music server and so well supported. Big Thank you to the developer.

I've read several posts regarding the error log "Warning: conflicting ALBUM tag value..." and can understand the logic. My problem is I have looked at several of the rogue albums in MP3Tag, Zortam and Tag&Rename and for the life of me cannot see any conflicts. One post from Simon I think suggested examining the rogue files with a hex editor. Is there a simpler way to discover where the conflicts are, ie. a Tag Editor which shows ALL standards used? Failing this, is there a way to force minimserve to use eg. one standard for MP3 and one standard for FLAC or a setting to not report certain errors in the log? Quite happy to upload one of the rogue files for examination but would love to know how to correct these errors myself.

Thanks for any help

DDJ
You could try loading into Jaikoz (Free to view data and make a limited set of changes). For MP3s enable View:Show View Pane and View:Show ID3 Tabs and then you can see if there is any difference between ID3v1 and ID3v2 which may cause an issue. Also any trailing spaces will be shown as Pink which many possible cause of the issue ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2018, 21:01
It isn't trailing spaces because MinimServer strips these automatically. It isn't a conflict between ID3v1 and ID3v2 because MinimServer ignores ID3v1. It could be multiple ID3v2 tags with different Album values. Another possibility is that your tagging programs are showing just the first Album value if more than one value is present.
29-08-2018, 05:26
Thanks for the replies guys. I certainly don't see multiple values in the Tagging programs I use (TagScanner, MP3Tag and Tag&Rename). I've even stripped all the (visible) album tags and retagged them but get the same conflict error. Can you suggest any software which will show duplicate tags if they exist? I'm also getting a load of date truncation warnings which, although I'm not overly concerned with, would prefer not to see in the log file. I assume the only way to not show them currently is to fix the date errors (ie. there's no setting to hide certain errors in the log file?)

TIA (again!)Blush

DDJ
30-08-2018, 14:41
You can't disable warning messages.

The Date problem is caused by having YYYY-DD-MM instead of YYYY-MM-DD in your Date tags. You can work around it by following the instructions in this post.

If you would like to upload one of the files with the conflicting album name, I will take a look at what is causing this. I have sent you a PM with instructions for doing the upload.
31-08-2018, 07:59
(30-08-2018 14:41)simoncn Wrote:  You can't disable warning messages.

The Date problem is caused by having YYYY-DD-MM instead of YYYY-MM-DD in your Date tags. You can work around it by following the instructions in this post.

If you would like to upload one of the files with the conflicting album name, I will take a look at what is causing this. I have sent you a PM with instructions for doing the upload.

Thanks Simon...excellent support. I've just uploaded one of the files to your server with the "Conflicting ALBUM tag" error. Really enjoying this software..
31-08-2018, 08:25
Morning Smile

Bit of a strange one this. Last couple of times I've restarted Minim from the tray icon and kept the log open it seems to be picking up more TAG CONFLICT errors each time before it becomes operational (green). Case in point, I started it last night and it was up and running in a few minutes (with quite a few warnings, including many DATE truncation ones). Simon kindly directed me to an old post to configure Minim to not report these DATE truncation warnings. Configured the options as directed and restarted the server. No DATE warnings in the log (yayyyy!!) but loads more tag CONFLICT warnings than before and the server took a lot longer to turn green and become operational. Is there a size limit on the number of warnings reported in the log maybe? I'm also wondering if Minim has a problem with full paths that approach the 255 character limit in Windows. Some of my pathnames are very long. Would this cause a problem?
31-08-2018, 11:09 (This post was last modified: 31-08-2018 11:30 by simoncn.)
MinimServer doesn't have any size limit on path names and I don't know why you see more warnings on subsequent restarts.

Thanks for uploading the "rogue" file. It contains two ID3v2.3 tags and MinimServer is reading both of these and merging the contents. The Album value in the second tag is different from the Album value in the first tag and this is why you are getting the conflict message.

Note: In ID3v2, the "tag" is a complete block of tagged information. Each value in the tag (Artist, Album, etc.) is a "frame".

The ID3v2.4 spec explicitly supports multiple tags with or without merged contents. There is no mention of this in the ID3v2.3 spec and I haven't been able to confirm whether or not it is valid to have multiple ID3v2.3 tags.

Mp3tag shows information from the first ID3v2.3 tag only and it seems that many other tagging programs do the same. I have found a program (see this page) that can show the contents of multiple ID3v2.3 tags and delete all ID3v2.3 tags after the first. It does work but it isn't very easy to use and it reports problems that aren't really problems. For example, it says that your file has a image that can't be loaded but MinimServer is able to read the image correctly.

@paultaylor: How does Jaikoz handle multiple ID3v2.3 tags?
31-08-2018, 14:55
(31-08-2018 11:09)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer doesn't have any size limit on path names and I don't know why you see more warnings on subsequent restarts.

Thanks for uploading the "rogue" file. It contains two ID3v2.3 tags and MinimServer is reading both of these and merging the contents. The Album value in the second tag is different from the Album value in the first tag and this is why you are getting the conflict message.

Note: In ID3v2, the "tag" is a complete block of tagged information. Each value in the tag (Artist, Album, etc.) is a "frame".

The ID3v2.4 spec explicitly supports multiple tags with or without merged contents. There is no mention of this in the ID3v2.3 spec and I haven't been able to confirm whether or not it is valid to have multiple ID3v2.3 tags.

Mp3tag shows information from the first ID3v2.3 tag only and it seems that many other tagging programs do the same. I have found a program (see this page) that can show the contents of multiple ID3v2.3 tags and delete all ID3v2.3 tags after the first. It does work but it isn't very easy to use and it reports problems that aren't really problems. For example, it says that your file has a image that can't be loaded but MinimServer is able to read the image correctly.

@paultaylor: How does Jaikoz handle multiple ID3v2.3 tags?

Thanks for the info Simon. I'll check out the suggested program and see if it helps. Very frustrating that the vast majority of tagging software (certainly the ones I use like TagScanner, Tag&Rename, MP3Tag and even MusicBrainz Picard) have no option to show if there are multiple tag values for the same field. I assume, unlike my DATE truncation errors which your previous post helped with enormously, there's no similar "cheat" to fool the log in to not reporting them? It's not a biggie as I say because the files play fine and your Intelligent Browsing is superb.

DDJ
31-08-2018, 15:18 (This post was last modified: 31-08-2018 15:19 by simoncn.)
To clarify the cause of the problem, it is not about multiple values for the same field. It is about multiple ID3v2 tags in the file. In ID3v2, the "tag" is a complete block of tagged information, not a single value such as an album name or a date.

If you try the Mp3 Diags program, the tags (in the above sense) are shown as columns and the values within the tags (ID3v2 frames) are shown as rows. To delete the additional ID3v2 tag that is causing the problem, use the leftmost "hammer" at the top (with no number) and select 'Remove multiple ID3 streams".