Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
control point can't see MinimServer
20-08-2018, 20:35
RE: control point can't see MinimServer
The icon is black( no outline box visible), and when mousing over the icon says "minim server (Terrys - iMac home) is running.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2018, 22:13 (This post was last modified: 20-08-2018 22:33 by simoncn.)
This should mean that MinimServer is running. If you now try to access the web page at x.x.x.x:9790 (where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your iMac), do you see the MinimServer status web page?

If this isn't working, there might be a problem with your Mac firewall settings preventing inbound connections to MinimServer.
21-08-2018, 08:21
Hi Simon
Success at last! the problem was not the iMac firewall but the McAfee firewall which I get bundled with my BT package turning itself back on somehow? This was a repeat of the same problem I had when I first set up minim server some time ago.

Sorry to have bothered you with this non minim related problem.
Thanks for your support
Terry

(20-08-2018 22:13)simoncn Wrote:  This should mean that MinimServer is running. If you now try to access the web page at x.x.x.x:9790 (where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your iMac), do you see the MinimServer status web page?

If this isn't working, there might be a problem with your Mac firewall settings preventing inbound connections to MinimServer.
27-08-2018, 18:20
No luck for me. The log says:
MinimServer 0.8.5.2 update 123, Copyright © 2012-2018 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 10.0.2+13)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0.2+13, mixed mode)
Java runtime options: -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
Platform default charset is UTF-8
System look and feel is com.apple.laf.AquaLookAndFeel
Language setting is 'eng'
Current time is Mon Aug 27 19:10:29 CEST 2018 in time zone Europe/Rome
starting MinimServer[MacBookdiadmin2.station]
Scanning directory Music
[...]
MinimServer[MacBookdiadmin2.station] is running
Startup complete

The icon on the menu bar is black on white background. The tooltip says "MinimServer[MacBookdiadmin2.station] is running".
Still, no minim is visible by either VLC or Naim.
27-08-2018, 19:28
This could be a problem with your firewall or antivirus program blocking inbound connections to MinimServer. The other possibility is a network multicast discovery issue. See this section for some suggestions.
29-08-2018, 07:55
I have no antivirus, and I only have a faint idea of what a firewall is exactly.

Minim used to work fine until some time ago. The only recent changes that seem relevant to me are updates in Minim, macOS, Java. My home network has been the same for years.

Oh well, I guess I'll use the annoying Plex until the problem with Minim just goes away.
Thank you anyway.
30-08-2018, 11:09 (This post was last modified: 30-08-2018 11:09 by simoncn.)
To check your Mac firewall settings, do the following:

1) Open System Preferences and click Security & Privacy
2) Select Firewall (if not already selected)
3) If this shows "Firewall: On", click the lock at the bottom left and enter your password
4) Click Firewall Options

In order, from top to bottom:

'Block all incoming connections' should not be checked.

In the list of programs that are allowed to receive incoming connections, MinimServer should be shown as 'Allow incoming connections'.

'Automatically allow built-in software to receive incoming connections' should be checked.

'Automatically allow downloaded signed software to receive incoming connections' should be checked.

'Enable stealth mode' should not be checked.
03-09-2018, 17:02
Hi,

We have the same problem. Our naim steamer cannot access the minim server on our windows pc since we had a new broadband hub delivered by virgin.
I have updated Java and have installed Minim Watch on our PC and it does not find minim server even though it is running.
I have entered the correct subnet on the properties and I have changed the McAfee firewall settings for the Jave platform.

Still not able to find servers from the naim unit or from the naim app on my ipad.

It was running ok on our previous router.
03-09-2018, 20:33
What is the exact model name of the new Virgin hub?

Is it possible to go back to your previous router to confirm that this fixes the problem?