Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multiple Genres & Sub-genres
06-08-2018, 09:02
Multiple Genres & Sub-genres
Hi there, I feel sure this has been used before, but I'm struggling to get genres, specifically sub-genres within single albums, working correctly.

For example, I have a copy of Finley Quaye: Maverick A Strike which has no singular genre reference; it is listed under Discogs as 'funk, electronic, reggae, dub'. Ideally I would like to list it mainly under a singular heading of 'electronic' but then have sub-genres of 'dub' and 'funk', but I'm struggling to know how to prioritise a main heading with sub-genres underneath?

To date I have used Metadatics tagging s/w to add multiple tags within 'Genre' with no delimiters required. This works, but only in so much as it lists the same Finley Quaye album under all separate 'funk, electronic, reggae, dub' genre headings. I can find see no way to add a sub-genre field to Metadatics and similarly I can see no way to get Minimserver to 'stack' sub-genres under a singular main genre heading?

Is this possible and am I missing something obvious?

This would be particularly useful with electronic music where sub-genres such as 'ambient', 'downtempo', 'dub' etc. is actually very common.

Any help of advice is greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2018, 09:20
RE: Multiple Genres & Sub-genres
MinimServer can index any tag name, so you could create a new SubGenre tag for your subgenres and add SubGenre to indexTags. When browsing your library, you could select by Genre first and then by SubGenre.
06-08-2018, 09:45
(06-08-2018 09:20)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer can index any tag name, so you could create a new SubGenre tag for your subgenres and add SubGenre to indexTags. When browsing your library, you could select by Genre first and then by SubGenre.

Superb stuff. Only one slight fly in the ointment is that I cannot find a way to manually add a 'SubGenre' tag within Metadatics. Is there any other tagging s/w that you know that works well on Mac OSX that I could use that has this level of flexibility?

Many thanks.
06-08-2018, 10:19
If you are happy with your sub-genres now it's ok. But you should be aware that it is not really a sub-genre in the meaning of one genre being on a higher level than the other. Both genres are on the same level just like composer and title and album and so on. Tagging music files is flat, you can't make a hierarchy. So MinimServer does a great job to let it look like it would be.
06-08-2018, 11:59
(06-08-2018 09:45)AndyOneBeard Wrote:  Is there any other tagging s/w that you know that works well on Mac OSX that I could use that has this level of flexibility?

Mp3tag can do this and it is possible to run it on a Mac (see this page). I use it on Windows but I haven't tried it on a Mac.
06-08-2018, 12:45
(06-08-2018 11:59)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-08-2018 09:45)AndyOneBeard Wrote:  Is there any other tagging s/w that you know that works well on Mac OSX that I could use that has this level of flexibility?

Mp3tag can do this and it is possible to run it on a Mac (see this page). I use it on Windows but I haven't tried it on a Mac.

It's not native unfortunately, so its runs via Wine and is sloooooow! Still, I've used it on PC before and is very good. I'll keep looking as I think that Metadatics is no longer being supported as the main website is down.
07-08-2018, 07:09 (This post was last modified: 07-08-2018 17:18 by antonmb.)
Metadatics can add any custom tag you like. Make sure the right-hand sidebar is enabled, then at the bottom of the right sidebar click on the “+” to bring up the window to add a tag. Type your custom heading in the top box and the value in the main box and enter.
07-08-2018, 17:13
Qoobar runs natively on OSX:

http://qoobar.sourceforge.net/en/index.htm
08-08-2018, 12:56 (This post was last modified: 08-08-2018 12:57 by paultaylor.)
A common way to do this is to use the Genre and also the Grouping field for Genre and sub genre. Although this isn't the original intended use of Grouping it is widely done.

Discogs has the two level hierachy consisting of a single top level Genre and then multiple Styles, you could use my Jaikoz tagger to tag from Discogs, populating Genre from Discogs Genre and Grouping from Discogs Style, you can also manually edit and it is available for MacOS (as well as Windows and Linux).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user