Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer 2 profiles lost after upgrade to DSM 7
25-07-2021, 16:55
Sad MinimServer 2 profiles lost after upgrade to DSM 7
Huh
Following the instructions from Synology I first uninstalled MinimServer and java8 from my DS218+ to install DSM 7.
Uninstalling MinimServer only functioned after disabling my full licence, where I was told that the actual profile would be saved and reinstalled after reactivating the licence.
So I deactivated the licence, uninstalled MinimServer (with the save option for installation files) and java8, upgraded to DSM 7 and installed MinimServer in the appropriate version.
Fine so far. But after reactivating the licence the only available profile contained nothing but the library list. All my rather advanced settings were gone!
Search didn't find any other .profile files. What went wrong?

MinimServer, full licence, on Synology NAS DS218+ with DSM 7.2.
MinimWatch on Win10 22H2 x64.
UPnP/DLNA renderer T+A MP2000R (DLAN connected), Como Audio Duetto (WLAN).
Router AVM Fritz!Box 7583.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2021, 21:51 (This post was last modified: 25-07-2021 22:04 by simoncn.)
RE: MinimServer 2 profiles lost after upgrade to DSM 7
Thank you for letting me know about this problem.

When you uninstall MinimServer and ask to back up the configuration file, the file minimserver.config is saved. This file contains all your current configuration setttings. The saved version of this file is restored automatically when you reinstall MinimServer.

The problem arises because of the following unfortunate combination of circumstances:

1) DSM 6 requires you to uninstall MinimServer before updating to DSM 7. Normally, to install a new version of MinimServer, you would select Update from the Package Center instead of uninstalling.

2) MinimServer requires you to deactivate your full license before uninstalling. This is to prevent your full license activation for this device being lost and unavailable for use on other devices.

3) When you deactivate your full license, your advanced custom configuration settings are saved in your active profile file (for most users, this file is default.profile) but they are not saved in the minimserver.config file. Only those custom settings that are available in Starter Edition are saved in the minimserver.config file.

4) Profile files are not saved and restored when you uninstall and reinstall, only the minimserver.config file.

Do you have a NAS backup that contains your *.profile files from the MinimServer/appData folder? If so, you can use Profiles > Import from the MinimServer configuration web page to import your previous profile or profiles into your new installation of MinimServer and restore your previous advanced property settings.

I will release a fix for this problem as soon as I can. This will prevent other users from having the same issue.
25-07-2021, 22:38 (This post was last modified: 25-07-2021 22:49 by PeterG.)
(25-07-2021 21:51)simoncn Wrote:  Do you have a NAS backup that contains your *.profile files from the MinimServer/appData folder? If so, you can use Profiles > Import from the MinimServer configuration web page to import your previous profile or profiles into your new installation of MinimServer and restore your previous advanced property settings.

I will release a fix for this problem as soon as I can. This will prevent other users from having the same issue.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately I don't have a backup of these files.
Found a rather old one (08.2020) on my laptop which I copied to the appData folder, so I don't have to start from zero. But it will take some time and work to get back to where I was.
I'm a bit angry because this could have been avoided rather easily with a clear instruction: Save your .profiles from MinimServer/appData before deactivating your licence, otherwise all advanced property settings will be lost doing an unistall/reinstall of MinimServer!

27-07-2021, 16:00 (This post was last modified: 27-07-2021 16:11 by simoncn.)
This problem is fixed now in MinimServer update 195. This update needs to be installed on DSM 6 before updating to DSM 7. With this update, MinimServer (on Synology only) will save backup copies of all .profile files. These backup copies will be retained when MinimServer is uninstalled and will be restored automatically when MinimServer is reinstalled.
27-07-2021, 16:45
(27-07-2021 16:00)simoncn Wrote:  This problem is fixed now in MinimServer update 195. This update needs to be installed on DSM 6 before updating to DSM 7. With this update, MinimServer (on Synology only) will save backup copies of all .profile files. These backup copies will be retained when MinimServer is uninstalled and will be restored automatically when MinimServer is reinstalled.
This I would call an immediate and good solution, though it comes too late for me. Nevertheless, thanks a lot.