Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Genre IndexTab
23-07-2018, 10:23
Missing Genre IndexTab
Hi there, I am new to both MinimServer and the forum, so I might be missing something obvious, but I am missing the heading 'Genre' on my Kazoo (and Glider) control points despite the fact that MinimWatch confirms that its enabled?

I have attached a picture to demonstrate what I mean.

I have managed to add a specific new dynamic heading which I've titled 'Resolution' which, as you can see, works fine. I can even delete headings such as 'Date', hit rescan on MinimWatch and hey presto, the title 'Date' disappears almost instantly and vice-versa. So I know that MinimWatch and MinimServer are talking to one another.

I can confirm that all the music on the NAS (Synology) has been accurately tagged with 'Electronic' in the genre field; I've double checked.

For reference I am using a Synology DS218play with latest DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 and MinimServer 0.8.5.3 installed. Kazoo is Mac v.4.12.6 on OSX 10.13.6.

I suspect I am simply being stupid, but I've tried everything I can think of?

Huh

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2018, 16:07
RE: Missing Genre IndexTab
If all your albums are the same genre, the genre selection won’t show because there’s nothing to choose from. To test this, try changing the genre on one album to something else.
23-07-2018, 16:16
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

MinimServer doesn't show an index entry for a tag that is identical in all files of the current selection because selecting this entry would not provide you with any choices to refine (narrow) your current selection. This is a feature of Intelligent Browsing (see the last paragraph of this section) that automatically reduces the number of index choices as you refine your browsing selection.
23-07-2018, 16:42
(23-07-2018 16:07)antonmb Wrote:  If all your albums are the same genre, the genre selection won’t show because there’s nothing to choose from. To test this, try changing the genre on one album to something else.

Ah, you see, I knew it would be something simple! I'll give it a go, but many thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

Best.
23-07-2018, 16:52
(23-07-2018 16:16)simoncn Wrote:  Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

MinimServer doesn't show an index entry for a tag that is identical in all files of the current selection because selecting this entry would not provide you with any choices to refine (narrow) your current selection. This is a feature of Intelligent Browsing (see the last paragraph of this section) that automatically reduces the number of index choices as you refine your browsing selection.

Hi Simon, many thanks for coming back to me. I suspected it would be something simple (and prepared to be embarrassed slightly on that basis!) but yes, as with the other forum member who responded in kind, given that all the albums I've transferred at present are the exact same genre, this would go much towards explaining things!

Once I have a another few albums of different genre's included, I should have my definitive answer.

I am guessing the same is true of the 'Conductor' entry on IndexTab, as this also doesn't show, but because electronic music has no such information for the most part.

As I've got you can I ask one more question related to album art please.

Is there a preferred min / max res for album artwork (mine is set to 1500 x 1500 px in either .jpg or .png presently) and does embedding this higher res artwork into each track of each album effect the overall size of the folder and thus slow it down when MinimSever accesses it; the artwork is also stored at folder level as a 'folder.xxx' file.

Many thanks.
23-07-2018, 22:05
There should be no noticeable slowdown from embedding 1500 x 1500 pixel album art in each file.
23-07-2018, 22:09
(23-07-2018 22:05)simoncn Wrote:  There should be no noticeable slowdown from embedding 1500 x 1500 pixel album art in each file.

Thanks Simon. Superb product, so keep up the great work. Need more dedicated s/w dev's like you!

Big Grin