Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Music
05-09-2015, 10:33
Apple Music
I'm storing my music on an external drive hanging off my iMac, running MinimServer and accessing on a Naim Unitiqute.

This works well for my normal iTunes library - all the files show up, whether I've purchased them from Apple or scanned them in from CD.

I've been playing with the Apple Music service, and files I've added to my library through that don't show up via MinimServer.

They're stored in a separate folder from the rest of the iTunes library, but I've added that to the MinimServer settings.

As far as I can see, the purchased or scanned iTunes files are stored as .m4a files, whereas the Apple Music files are .m4p.

Has anyone else got this to work, or does MinimServer not currently able to support .m4p?

Many thanks
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2015, 18:08 (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 18:10 by DavidHB.)
RE: Apple Music
The .m4p format is not listed as supported in the MinimServer User Guide. This is unsurprising, as it is a protected (DRM) format. You would need to find a way to convert your .m4p files to .m4a or .mp3 (if there is one).

David
05-09-2015, 19:45
You might be able to use the approach described on this page.
17-02-2017, 08:06
(05-09-2015 10:33)BenHunt Wrote:  I'm storing my music on an external drive hanging off my iMac, running MinimServer and accessing on a Naim Unitiqute.

This works well for my normal iTunes library - all the files show up, whether I've purchased them from Apple or scanned them in from CD.

I've been playing with the Apple Music service, and files I've added to my library through that don't show up via MinimServer.

They're stored in a separate folder from the rest of the iTunes library, but I've added that to the MinimServer settings.

As far as I can see, the purchased or scanned iTunes files are stored as .m4a files, whereas the Apple Music files are .m4p.

Has anyone else got this to work, or does MinimServer not currently able to support .m4p?

Many thanks
You should know that music file encoded with .M4P are protected with DRM protection. So it is limited to playback on up to 5 authorized computer and iOS devices. You must convert the protected M4P to other DRM-free formats like MP3. Thus to transfer the M4P files to MinimServer.
19-02-2017, 22:34
I had the same problem with some iTunes music I purchased over a decade ago. The way Apple describe in the link did not work, so I resorted to installing a virtual sound card (soundflower on the Mac) and then played the music from iTunes and recorded it using Audacity via the virtual sound card as the input device. Works flawlessly. Similar things can be achieved on Linux and Windows.
20-11-2017, 14:57
(05-09-2015 10:33)BenHunt Wrote:  I'm storing my music on an external drive hanging off my iMac, running MinimServer and accessing on a Naim Unitiqute.

Many thanks

Before March 2009, the songs sold on iTunes Store are protected M4P files. After June 2015, downloaded offline Apple Music tracks are also M4P files with DRM protection. Obviously, you need a M4P to MP3 converter to convert first.
15-03-2018, 08:59
thanks, buddy, that is what I need to convert m4p to mp3, ausome tips. That is a shame that apple that apple add this notorious DRM protection to hinder people from enjoying music. Thanks to the today's great technology, we should all break DRM protection.
06-08-2018, 11:16
If you are looking for a program to convert M4P to MP3, as I know, Audfree DRM Audio Convert is a good choice for you.

It's a powerful software can remove DRM protection from Apple, so you can batch convert your Apple Music library to common formats like MP3, WAV AAC, FLAC, etc.

After decrypted DRM restriction, you can enjoy them on any device according to your demands.
Thread Closed