Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MinimWatch question re: migrating between OS
28-06-2018, 17:17
MinimWatch question re: migrating between OS
Hello.

I use MinimServer on an Asustor NAS

I'm currently using Windows as my PC OS, and have MinimWatch installed on there. I am going to be migrating to Linux and will be installing MinimWatch on Linux when that happens.

My question is: do I need to back anything up from the existing MinimWatch setup to migrate to MW on Linux? Or will the new installation of MW just pick up the settings I have in place from MS when it detects it?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2018, 19:53
RE: MinimWatch question re: migrating between OS
Hello,

as far as I know MinimWactch has no own settings. It detects running MinimServer instances and provides access to the configurationinterface of those detected MinimServer instances.

So there is no need to backup any MinimWatch setting.

Kind regards
steamfan
28-06-2018, 21:15
There are a few MinimWatch settings but it is unlikely that you would need to change these from the defaults, so (as steamfan says) you can just install MinimWatch on the Linux machine and everything should be fine.
29-06-2018, 12:51 (This post was last modified: 29-06-2018 14:58 by el6e7.)
(28-06-2018 21:15)simoncn Wrote:  There are a few MinimWatch settings but it is unlikely that you would need to change these from the defaults, so (as steamfan says) you can just install MinimWatch on the Linux machine and everything should be fine.

Thanks. Just so I'm clear - I've used MinimWatch to change some aspects (from the default) of how MS displays files in my clients. Will the new installation of MW on Linux detect those settings from MS and show them automatically in the GUI? Or is that something that I'd need to backup from the Windows installation?

And another question - has MW been successfully tested on Ubuntu 18.04?
29-06-2018, 15:46
Yes, MinimWatch reads the MinimServer settings from MinimServer across the network, so no backup is needed.

I have tested MinimWatch on many versions of Ubuntu up to and including 17.10.
18-08-2018, 22:17
I have now tested MinimServer and MinimWatch on Ubuntu 18.04.1 with the default-jre package and the TopIcons Plus shell extension installed. Both MinimServer and MinimWatch are working correctly.