Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Mint doesn't see UPnP
11-06-2018, 12:36
Linux Mint doesn't see UPnP
I have minimServer running on a synology NAS and this works fine. I can connect via VLC on a Mac to play music.

On my Linux Mint machine, it doesn't see any UPnP services on the network. At first I thought it to be related to wired vs wireless networking, but it makes no difference. I'm stuck in my options to check and checking the forum and internet hasn't given me any hints to try.

Anyone seen something similar perhaps on ubuntu?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2018, 13:12
RE: Linux Mint doesn't see UPnP
What software are you using on the Linux Mint machine to connect to UPnP services?
11-06-2018, 13:16
(11-06-2018 13:12)simoncn Wrote:  What software are you using on the Linux Mint machine to connect to UPnP services?

Should have added that of course: VLC and Rhythmbox. VLC on Mac works fine.
11-06-2018, 13:27
Do you have a firewall running on the Linux machine? If so, try disabling it as a test.
11-06-2018, 13:50
(11-06-2018 13:27)simoncn Wrote:  Do you have a firewall running on the Linux machine? If so, try disabling it as a test.

I tried it, but didn't help. RB does see an iTunes share (DAAP) on my network as before. Doesn't seem a firewall issue.
11-06-2018, 14:17
According to this thread, it's a bug in libupnp.
11-06-2018, 16:07
(11-06-2018 14:17)simoncn Wrote:  According to this thread, it's a bug in libupnp.

Thanks for that ref, seems indeed a library bug. I installed the de-patched libupnp. Now VLC sees one UPnP service, but cannot do anything with it. RB still cannot see any service. Amazing such a bug is as long standing as it is.. hmm.. what to do..
15-06-2018, 18:32
(11-06-2018 12:36)artelse Wrote:  I have minimServer running on a synology NAS and this works fine. I can connect via VLC on a Mac to play music.

On my Linux Mint machine, it doesn't see any UPnP services on the network. At first I thought it to be related to wired vs wireless networking, but it makes no difference. I'm stuck in my options to check and checking the forum and internet hasn't given me any hints to try.

Anyone seen something similar perhaps on ubuntu?

My ubuntu mate 18.04 installation sees MinimServer and can play from it with no problems using vlc 3.02. The libupnp6 version is reported as 1:1.6.24-4. This is a basic install, and the only packages I've added are from the curated 'Software Boutique'

An alternative (that I've not tried) might be to use Jean-Francois Dockes upplay (control point) and his upmpdcli "UPnP Media Renderer front-end for MPD". I think that upmpdcli is often used on raspberry Pi renderers, so that part should be reasonably well tested. there's a PPA on launchpad. https://launchpad.net/~jean-francois-doc...ntu/upnpp1

http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upplay/
http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/index.html

On http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads.html he mentions that he has a patched version of linupnp6 1.6.20. This might address your libupnp issues - otherwise, I assume that these packages won't work either with a broken version of libupnp.

Mike
17-06-2018, 21:39
Thanks for that info, but haven't been able to make that patched lib work. I compiled it and did a make install, but doesn't work. Emailed the developer, let's see what he has to say.