Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No auto update (Linux Debian)
26-05-2018, 18:17
No auto update (Linux Debian)
I am running Minimserver on a Linux PC and installed 0.8.4 originally. Recently I have had the message to update to 0.8.5 because 0.8.4 is no longer supported. I manage the installation via Minimwatch on a W10 PC, which says that auto update on Minimserver is set to true, but it hasn't happened and there is no option in the packages tab to install a new version.

Any ideas why it hasn't happened, and what Linux command I need to issue to get it to behave? I am not a qualified Linux user, but can use Putty to access the device.
Many thanks.

Turnkey Linux is Debian Linux 8 and runs on an Asus eee box PC with 2GB of RAM.

Server :: RaspberryPi3B+>Minimserver 2
Control : Android>BubbleUPnP / W10>Upplay / W10>Kazoo / iPhone>Kazoo
Renderer: BubbleUPnP Server>Cambridge Audio CXN V2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2018, 20:27
RE: No auto update (Linux Debian)
To change to a new version (such as from 0.8.4 to 0.8.5), a manual update from the Linux command line is needed. You can do this by downloading the 0.8.5 archive file and then running the minimserver/bin/update Linux command from your 0.8.4 installation. See this section for details.
27-05-2018, 07:59
(26-05-2018 20:27)simoncn Wrote:  To change to a new version (such as from 0.8.4 to 0.8.5), a manual update from the Linux command line is needed. You can do this by downloading the 0.8.5 archive file and then running the minimserver/bin/update Linux command from your 0.8.4 installation. See this section for details.

Thanks for the quick response, Simon. Well, the update failed, but only after uninstalling the old version. I seem to remember, from when I was originally installing, that Debian doesn't like tar files. Anyway I will do a fresh install from my notes of the original install. I am wondering if there is a config file hiding somewhere in the Linux hierarchy which contains all the settings which I have entered previously and which I can copy for replacing after the fresh install, which I imagine will re-initialise settings?
Marmite

27-05-2018, 08:26 (This post was last modified: 27-05-2018 08:28 by simoncn.)
There is no problem with Debian and tar files. What do you mean by "the update failed"? Do you remember what the error message was?

Did you use the minimserver/bin/uninstall command to uninstall the old version? If you did this, you would have been asked whether you want to save the configuration. If you did save the configuration, it will be restored automatically when you reinstall MinimServer in the same folder as previously. If you didn't save the configuration, it will no longer be there but you might be able to find it in your last backup.
27-05-2018, 08:33
I used the update command from the Minimserver web page for Linux updates. I can't remember the exact error message, but it referenced the 0.8.5 tar. gz file which I had downloaded.

27-05-2018, 10:00 (This post was last modified: 27-05-2018 10:01 by simoncn.)
At a guess, you might have specified the wrong path to this file and the message might have said that the file was not found. Another possibilty is that you didn't specify the correct path to the minimserver/bin/update command.
27-05-2018, 11:11
No problem. I am restoring a working version and will try again with more care. For future reference, if I want to export/save the Minimserver settings, for importing into another instance, possibly in a different environment, is there a way to do it?

WRT Debian and tar files, I think the problem I had with the original install was that Debian has its own .deb package for installing and I had to do some kind of conversion to the tar file before I could install it.

But I have now learnt that I need to manually update in a Linux environment, which I hadn't realised before. Need to make some more notes on the procedure, once I get it right. Thanks for a great product and keep up the good work.
Marmite.

27-05-2018, 14:38 (This post was last modified: 27-05-2018 14:45 by simoncn.)
At present, there isn't a way to export/import settings but I plan to add this soon.

I understand your point about .deb and .tar. Different versions of Linux have different installer mechanisms. It would be a lot of work to produce MinimServer installers for all these mechanisms, so I have created a single self-contained package that can be manually downloaded and installed on all versions of Linux.