Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
inconsistency with multi-disc
10-05-2018, 03:23
RE: inconsistency with multi-disc
(09-05-2018 22:15)simoncn Wrote:  For complete albums, MinimServer is merging the discs and renumbering the tracks and the Cambridge app is handling this correctly.

For incomplete albums, MinimServer is not merging the discs and renumbering the tracks. Instead, it presents a view of the album that the Cambridge app isn't able to handle correctly.

Do you have an Android phone? If so, you can install the BubbleUPnP app which should work OK with incomplete albums as well as complete albums.

Thanks, I will look into this. I have done a short-term fix by re-labelling all mult-disc sets that don't have a Disc 1 as having a Disc 1 (Discs 1 & 2 rather than Discs 3 & 4). I will be going away for a while, so I can't test out new solutions. Thanks for the work, and I hope that this issue can be worked out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2018, 08:07
I am curious to know how a multidisc set can not have a Disc 1. Can you give an example?
10-05-2018, 11:07
(10-05-2018 08:07)simoncn Wrote:  I am curious to know how a multidisc set can not have a Disc 1. Can you give an example?

I consider an "album" a selection of tracks that belong together. Multi-disc sets may group multiple albums. For instance, I have box sets of Mozart operas. Clearly I would not want to listen to Cosi fan tutte and Don Giovanni in one sitting, so they are separate albums, even though they come from the same CD box. Actually, I also break up operas into separate acts as well. I do the same thing with rock multi-album sets.
10-05-2018, 13:19
Thanks for explaining this. In the case where your "album" only has discs 2 and 3, would you prefer to see a combined list of all tracks on discs 2 and 3 (as is shown for complete sets) or would you prefer to see only two entries, one for disc 2 and one for disc 3? In the latter case, you would then need to select one of these two entries to see the tracks for that disc.
10-05-2018, 13:31
(10-05-2018 13:19)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for explaining this. In the case where your "album" only has discs 2 and 3, would you prefer to see a combined list of all tracks on discs 2 and 3 (as is shown for complete sets) or would you prefer to see only two entries, one for disc 2 and one for disc 3? In the latter case, you would then need to select one of these two entries to see the tracks for that disc.

The >>Disc 2 cannot be selected. I am happy enough with having the tracks for Disc 3 renumbered.
I have tried the Bubbleupnp, and the display on the front of my CXN, and it seems that the problem is primarily with Cambridge Connect. I have sent a message to them to point out the problem.
Thanks for your help.
10-05-2018, 13:45
I know that >> Disc 2 cannot be selected currently (when using Cambridge Connect) and I was asking about other options that I might be able to provide in the future for viewing such albums.

One possible future option would be to show a combined list of all tracks on discs 2 and 3 (as is shown for complete sets).

Another possible future option would be to show something like the current >> Disc 1 and >> Disc 2 entries (just these two entries, with no tracks). Selecting the first of these would show only the tracks for disc 2 and selecting the second of these would show only the tracks for disc 3.

I was wondering which of these possible future options would work best for you.

Please let me know how Cambridge Audio responds to your message.
10-05-2018, 14:29
(10-05-2018 13:45)simoncn Wrote:  I know that >> Disc 2 cannot be selected currently (when using Cambridge Connect) and I was asking about other options that I might be able to provide in the future for viewing such albums.

One possible future option would be to show a combined list of all tracks on discs 2 and 3 (as is shown for complete sets).

Another possible future option would be to show something like the current >> Disc 1 and >> Disc 2 entries (just these two entries, with no tracks). Selecting the first of these would show only the tracks for disc 2 and selecting the second of these would show only the tracks for disc 3.

I have asked CA about 2 years ago if they could alter the way the Connect app handles mutidisc albums (Request #43298) nothing changed since.

Peter.
10-05-2018, 23:24
(10-05-2018 13:45)simoncn Wrote:  I know that >> Disc 2 cannot be selected currently (when using Cambridge Connect) and I was asking about other options that I might be able to provide in the future for viewing such albums.

I think I would be happy to have the latter disc renumbered after the former disc, as it does when the discs are 1 and 2. When an album covers more than one disc, there is rarely any musical reason for stopping after the fist disc.
I will keep you posted about Cambridge Connect.