Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Raspberry PI running MinimServer - YES!
22-08-2013, 12:49
RE: Raspberry PI running MinimServer - YES!
Hi Simon,

Does minimserver ARM now support hardfloat? I would like to try it on the RPi.

Thanks, Guus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2013, 17:41
(22-08-2013 12:49)guussie Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Thanks, Guus

I will send you a link to an experimental build for this in the next few days.
22-08-2013, 17:43
(22-08-2013 17:41)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 12:49)guussie Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Thanks, Guus

I will send you a link to an experimental build for this in the next few days.

Happy to try it!
23-08-2013, 21:02
An experimental build of MinimServer and MinimWatch for the Raspberry Pi (hard float) is now available. If anyone would like to try it, please PM me.
27-08-2013, 15:53
What is the difference between running either? I mean, if 'soft float' works, why use/need 'hard float'? Thanks.
27-08-2013, 16:04
(27-08-2013 15:53)ReneZ Wrote:  What is the difference between running either? I mean, if 'soft float' works, why use/need 'hard float'? Thanks.

1) If the hardware supports hard float, using a hard-float OS image (such as Raspbian) will give better performance because it uses a more efficient calling linkage.

2) The recommended OS image for the Raspberry Pi is Raspbian, which is hard float. A lot of other RPi software is built as hard float to be compatible with Raspbian. If you want to run MinimServer in this environment for access to other software, you need to use a hard-float version of MinimServer.
27-08-2013, 19:25
Simon, thanks for that, great info! I'm running MinimServer on a PI, but obviously with a soft float version. I'll contact you separately for the HF option. Thanks :-)
28-08-2013, 14:16 (This post was last modified: 28-08-2013 14:18 by wappinghigh.)
I know what a Pi is....but if a Pi running Minimserver can't stream files off a NAS ie needs the library on an attached USB drive, what's the point of a Pi running Minimserver? Why not just run it on a single one disc NAS like the QNAP? Maybe I'm daft and its obviously real cool and all, but I don't get this.....
28-08-2013, 14:32
(28-08-2013 14:16)wappinghigh Wrote:  I know what a Pi is....but if a Pi running Minimserver can't stream files off a NAS ie needs the library on an attached USB drive, what's the point of a Pi running Minimserver? Why not just run it on a single one disc NAS like the QNAP? Maybe I'm daft and its obviously real cool and all, but I don't get this.....

These are all very important experiments in order to be prepared for the release of the budget 2 TB usb stick next year!
28-08-2013, 14:54
(28-08-2013 14:16)wappinghigh Wrote:  I know what a Pi is....but if a Pi running Minimserver can't stream files off a NAS ie needs the library on an attached USB drive, what's the point of a Pi running Minimserver? Why not just run it on a single one disc NAS like the QNAP? Maybe I'm daft and its obviously real cool and all, but I don't get this.....

It's quieter than a NAS (no fan). It's cheaper than a NAS. It has hard-float support, which very few NASs have. It runs a more recent version of Linux, and can therefore be used with up-to-date versions of other software instead of ancient versions bundled by the NAS manufacturer.