Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Raspberry PI running MinimServer - YES!
20-01-2013, 13:12 (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 13:13 by ReneZ.)
Raspberry PI running MinimServer - YES!
Hi, I have managed to get MinimServer running on a Raspberry PI with the great help of GMeddens (Thanks Mate!!), whilst using a USB harddisk as file repository.

Basically the music sits in a directory on a USB harddrive (Hitachi Touro 2Tb - USB3) and is connected to the RB. MinimServer runs on the RB and has as music directory the mounted USB drive.

It's still early days, but it seems to be running OK with wav24 transcoding from 24/192 flac files where top shows a processor load of about 50%, so it seems to be running without too much of a burden on the RB.

Guy has a guide that helped me a lot (!). I had some issues with permissions etc, but trawling the web helped and it works now. How's that for a cheap and easily transportable set-up? Total cost RB and Hitachi is about £110 (dead quiet too!).

Cheers, Rene
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2013, 17:04
RE: Raspberry PI running MinimServer - YES!
(20-01-2013 13:12)ReneZ Wrote:  Hi, I have managed to get MinimServer running on a Raspberry PI with the great help of GMeddens (Thanks Mate!!), whilst using a USB harddisk as file repository.

Basically the music sits in a directory on a USB harddrive (Hitachi Touro 2Tb - USB3) and is connected to the RB. MinimServer runs on the RB and has as music directory the mounted USB drive.

It's still early days, but it seems to be running OK with wav24 transcoding from 24/192 flac files where top shows a processor load of about 50%, so it seems to be running without too much of a burden on the RB.

Guy has a guide that helped me a lot (!). I had some issues with permissions etc, but trawling the web helped and it works now. How's that for a cheap and easily transportable set-up? Total cost RB and Hitachi is about £110 (dead quiet too!).

Cheers, Rene

Congratulations! This sounds like a great solution.

Could you post a summary of the steps that were needed to get this up and running?
21-01-2013, 08:24
As gmeddens helped me I would prefer this coming from him. I've PM'ed him.
21-01-2013, 22:40 (This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 08:44 by gmeddens.)
(20-01-2013 17:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 13:12)ReneZ Wrote:  Hi, I have managed to get MinimServer running on a Raspberry PI with the great help of GMeddens (Thanks Mate!!), whilst using a USB harddisk as file repository.

Cheers, Rene

Congratulations! This sounds like a great solution.

Could you post a summary of the steps that were needed to get this up and running?

Short manual to get Minimserver working on RasberryPi, quick and dirty, it works for me, but needs refinement: a startup script is the first I would like to add, but for now all is working stable at my site.
Prolog:

Install the debian distribution
from Soft-float Debian “wheezy”
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Burn it to your sd card, using the general information found on various websites.
see also http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/up...e-v1.1.pdf
which is the start up guide.
Connect the RaspberryPi to your TV and keyboard, start the computer. Follow the steps mentioned in the guide, type raspi-config to start configure your raspberrypi (RBPi).
Set your password, and enable the ssh server.

After completing the steps mentioned, and other steps, you should have a working RBPi in your network. You should also know the ip adress already which is shown after booting up, or after typing in the command:

ifconfig -a

You get the ip address; e.g.:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:cc:3b:07
inet addr:192.168.2.210 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
etc.

Step 1
Get the java distribution and minimserver
Download the distribution jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz from:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/j...80260.html

or search google for jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz.

Download minimserver from minimserver.com. The arm distribution, works on the raspberryPi:
MinimServer-0.63-linux-arm.tar.gz

Step 2
Create folders and set correct rights
First try to connect to your RaspberryPi, using the terminal:
ssh -l pi w.x.y.z
(Where w.x.y.z is the ip address, eg 192.168.1.12)
type your password as set in the prolog.
If you can login you can also copy files to your /home/pi folder on the RBPi.
We need 2 folders, one for Java, the second for your music; since my knowledge is limited I create them in the /home/pi folder. I am sure there is a better place to create these folders.
Make sure you are in the /home/pi folder. Type ls -l to see the items in /home/pi:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Aug 9 00:56 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Aug 9 00:56 python_games

Create the 2 folders java and music:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ mkdir java
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ mkdir music

I change the rights of the music directory to be available for all:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo chmod -R 777 music

This gives the following listing in /home/pi with ls -l:

drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Jan 21 21:33 java
drwxrwxrwx 2 pi pi 4096 Jan 21 21:33 music

type exit to log out from the RaspberryPi:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ exit

Copy the java distribution and minimserver to the pi using scp or secure ftp. From the terminal on your own machine the command is something like:

scp filepath/sourcefile pi@192.168.1.12:/home/pi

In my example I have both files in my home folder, so type in one line:

scp /Disk/Users/chief/jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz pi@192.168.1.12:/home/pi

pi@192.168.1.12's password:

Type your pi password.
The same for the Minimserver:

scp /Disk/Users/chief/MinimServer-0.63-linux-arm.tar.gz pi@192.168.1.12:/home/pi

Step 3
Unpack both files on the RBPI.
So connect again to your RBPi
ssh -l pi 192.168.1.12
After logging in type ls -l to see the list of files. You should see both the java archive and the minimserver archive.

drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Jan 21 21:33 java
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 68225847 Jan 21 21:48 jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 1230224 Jan 21 21:51 MinimServer-0.63-linux-arm.tar.gz

Move the jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz file to the java folder:
mv jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz /home/pi/java

Unpack, or expand java in the java folder:
cd /home/pi/java
tar -zxvf *.gz
This creates a jdk1.7.0_10 folder within the java folder:
drwxr-xr-x 8 pi pi 4096 Nov 28 19:13 jdk1.7.0_10
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 68225847 Jan 21 21:48 jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz

Unpack minimserver:

cd /home/pi
tar -zxvf MinimServer-0.63-linux-arm.tar.gz

Which creates a folder minimserver-0.63 in the /home/pi folder:

drwxr-xr-x 3 pi pi 4096 Jan 21 21:55 java
drwxr-xr-x 4 pi pi 4096 Nov 10 23:14 minimserver-0.63
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 1230224 Jan 21 21:51 MinimServer-0.63-linux-arm.tar.gz

Create a command in a file called minimserver.sh with 2 lines using nano or pico:
cd home/pi
touch minimserver.sh

which creates a minimserver.sh file.

nano minimserver.sh
Which opens the file, and type the 2 following lines:

cd /home/pi/java/jdk1.7.0_10/bin
./java -jar //home/pi/minimserver-0.63/lib/minimserver.jar --quiet --nohup &

Now safe the file with control-o, hit enter, quit using control-x.
Give runaccess to the pi user:

chmod +x /home/pi/minimserver.sh

Check if the rights for the file are set using ls -l in the /home/pi folder:

cd /home/pi
ls -l
-rwxrwxr-x 1 pi pi 110 Jan 2 21:38 minimserver.sh

Start minimserver by typing
cd /home/pi
./minimserver.sh

Check if minimserver is running using minimwatch and set the folderpaths for your music. e.g.
/home/pi/music

Put some music files in the music folder and enjoy.

I created a folder called music in /home/pi/music, and mounted my usb drive in this folder using fstab by adding the line:
/dev/sda1 /home/pi/music ext4 defaults 0 0

Above line tells the system it is a disk formatted ext4, and this drive should be mounted in /home/pi/music.
Check the web how to get your device id, and how to mount a usb disk:
http://raspi.tv/2012/how-to-mount-and-us...spberry-pi.

Again, this is quick and dirty, it works for me, and all I did was copy and paste some commands from the web. To make it better somebody with more knowledge could refine this.

Guy
21-01-2013, 23:05
Guy,
Thanks very much for doing this!

Simon
22-01-2013, 08:46 (This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 08:47 by gmeddens.)
(21-01-2013 23:05)simoncn Wrote:  Guy,
Thanks very much for doing this!

Simon

Thank you for minimserver!
Guy
18-02-2013, 12:39

Cheers, Rene

Rene, which version of the RPI did you use the A or the B version? Second are there any skips when transcoding 24/192kHz through ethernet? But I guess there will be a delay if you scrub through a music track as the server needs to rebuffer the transcoded file, or when you select a new track?

I am curious as the RPI is a great silent little solution that might just work for me as well as my NAS which makes more noise. Or a separate solution as the RPI could live next to my player and uses my remote NAS to get the music from wthout skips.
22-02-2013, 18:25
Hi jvilly,
I can confirm that 192 khz 24 bits files will play, if you use real ethernet cabling. My Devolo network cannot handle this network traffic, your network probably will if using cat5 cabling. In my setup the music files are located on the usb drive, not on some NAS.
Guy
23-02-2013, 13:57
(22-02-2013 18:25)gmeddens Wrote:  Hi jvilly,
I can confirm that 192 khz 24 bits files will play, if you use real ethernet cabling. My Devolo network cannot handle this network traffic, your network probably will if using cat5 cabling. In my setup the music files are located on the usb drive, not on some NAS.
Guy

Thanks! I will check the option of RPI with NAS/external USB.
23-02-2013, 15:16
(23-02-2013 13:57)jvilly Wrote:  Thanks! I will check the option of RPI with NAS/external USB.

I don't think this will work well if you have your music library on a separate NAS. There is a big performance overhead for remote file access. I'd recommend having your music library on a USB-attached drive.