Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenHome
10-05-2018, 04:59 (This post was last modified: 10-05-2018 05:01 by bbill.)
RE: OpenHome
(04-05-2018 12:58)DavidHB Wrote:  OpenHome is a development of UPnP AV, and, I believe (Simon will correct me if I am wrong) not a lot different from the server perspective.

very good softwares are OpenHome (Lumin, Linn, ..)
but most network drives are just UPnP
these drives are not OpenHome compatible
the only current solution is to add the soft BubbleUPnP on the top
it would be simpler to add the OpenHome feature to MinimServer
this concerns many potential users (all UPnPs)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2018, 08:18 (This post was last modified: 10-05-2018 08:19 by simoncn.)
The problem is not that the network drive (NAS, UPnP server) is UPnP only. In the scenario that you are describing, the problem is that the renderer/player is UPnP only and cannot work with Linn and LUMIN software.

The current solution is to use BubbleUPnP Server to provide an OpenHome interface to the renderer/player. This name is very confusing because BubbleUPnP Server is *not* a UPnP server like MinimServer. BubbleUPnP Server is a software OpenHome UPnP renderer that works together with the renderer/player to provide an OpenHome interface to the renderer/player.
17-05-2018, 07:19
I fully understand the view that making OpenHome systems work is not the job of Minimserver. Having said that, I would think it was christmas if it did. I support other users, friends and family who are completely none technical using Minimserver and BubbleUPnP and it is time consuming updating and maintaining these systems. If the packages were reduced I may be able to convince people they can maintain it themselves.

In addition, there is the Java question. Although it seems Synology ARM NAS boxes no longer need a Java install for Minimserver (thanks Simon) they still do for BubbleUPnP so this means there are 3 packages to update and I notice there are big changes coming for Java next year, will it still be available for use in a NAS?

So for me it would be great if there was a Minimserver 'bolt on' that did the BubbleUPnP thing but failing that, is there a way to allow Bubble to use the Java inside Minimserver which would be a considerable help?

Bob.
17-05-2018, 08:00 (This post was last modified: 17-05-2018 08:03 by simoncn.)
The Java runtime inside MinimServer is a tailored version containing only the functionality required by MinimServer and it is unlikely that BubbleUPnP would be compatible with this tailored Java runtime.

Can you post a link to what you have seen about big changes for Java coming next year?
17-05-2018, 09:08
(17-05-2018 08:00)simoncn Wrote:  The Java runtime inside MinimServer is a tailored version containing only the functionality required by MinimServer and it is unlikely that BubbleUPnP would be compatible with this tailored Java runtime.

Can you post a link to what you have seen about big changes for Java coming next year?

When you install Java on a PC there is now a message which pops up warning of changes coming and a link to their roadmap. I have attached an image of the message and the link is:

https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp

Hope that helps.

Bob.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

17-05-2018, 09:44
Thanks for this. The linked page refers only to updates for Java SE 8. MinimServer is able to use later versions of Java, so there shouldn't be an issue.