Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenHome
25-04-2018, 06:39 (This post was last modified: 26-04-2018 04:53 by bbill.)
OpenHome
Hello Simon
thanks again for your excellent MinimServer !
do you plan to add OpenHome compatibility?
bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2018, 09:15
RE: OpenHome ??
MinimServer is fully compatible with OpenHome control points and renderers.
25-04-2018, 12:39 (This post was last modified: 25-04-2018 12:40 by bbill.)
my question was not very precise, sorry
my 'renderer' is DNLA / UPnP only and I would like MinimServer on the NAS with the Lumin app on my iPad (but the Lumin app only works with an OpenHome renderer)
my question: could you add in MinimServer an option to allow the Lumin app to work with a DNLA / UPnP renderer (create an OpenHome environment via Minimserver)
bill
25-04-2018, 14:04
Not sure why you expect a media server like MinimServer to provide help for the interaction that's strictly between a control point and a renderer. That's not a media server's function.

Fortunately, there is helper software that can do what you require - BubbleUPnP Server (it is NOT a UPnP/DLNA media server):
BubbleUPnP Server - Media Renderers: Creating OpenHome renderers
25-04-2018, 14:12
(25-04-2018 12:39)bbill Wrote:  my question was not very precise, sorry
my 'renderer' is DNLA / UPnP only and I would like MinimServer on the NAS with the Lumin app on my iPad (but the Lumin app only works with an OpenHome renderer)
my question: could you add in MinimServer an option to allow the Lumin app to work with a DNLA / UPnP renderer (create an OpenHome environment via Minimserver)
bill

You can wrap your renderer with an OpenHome layer by installing BubbleUPnP server on a machine on your network (PC, NAS, etc), and activate the OpenHome on your renderer by going to the Renderers tab. Then the Lumin app will beable to see it. Very easy to setup. I used it for a longtime when I used Lumin to operate a Mind renderer which is not natively OpenHome compatible.
25-04-2018, 14:13 (This post was last modified: 26-04-2018 05:03 by bbill.)
(25-04-2018 14:04)Cebolla Wrote:  Not sure why you expect a media server like MinimServer to provide help for the interaction that's strictly between a control point and a renderer. That's not a media server's function.

Fortunately, there is helper software that can do what you require - BubbleUPnP Server (it is NOT a UPnP/DLNA media server):
BubbleUPnP Server - Media Renderers: Creating OpenHome renderers

there are so many renderers that are UPnP but not OpenHome
and Lumin is an excellent software, Lumin advises the use of MinimServer

finally, it would be simpler with a single software (MinimServer) rather than two softwares (MinimServer & BubbleUPnP)
25-04-2018, 21:29
Thanks for this request/suggestion. I don't have any plans to add this functionality to MinimServer. If you need this, BubbleUPnP Server is your best option.
27-04-2018, 11:54
RE: OpenHome
(25-04-2018 14:13)bbill Wrote:  [quote='Cebolla' pid='29829' dateline='1524661459']
finally, it would be simpler with a single software (MinimServer) rather than two softwares (MinimServer & BubbleUPnP)
Agree, FWIW I asked a similar question regarding Kazoo control point

http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...p?tid=4409
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2018, 11:19
Hello,

IMHO it does not make sense to implement this on the UPnP *server* side. Openhome is an UPnP renderer (player) side feature.

So either one has to buy a renderer that supports this (There are not that much, I think. Linn, Aurelics, Abacus-electronic IIRC), or the UPnP server is the right way to go. Though it is a pity that such a helper proxy is necessary and not all manufacturers implement this standard.

just my 2 cents

Gert
04-05-2018, 12:58
(04-05-2018 11:19)tarnkappe Wrote:  So either one has to buy a renderer that supports this (There are not that much, I think. Linn, Aurelics, Abacus-electronic IIRC), or the UPnP server is the right way to go. Though it is a pity that such a helper proxy is necessary and not all manufacturers implement this standard.

Lumin players are also OpenHome based. There is also a software based OpenHome player that can be run on PC, Mac, Linux or Raspberry Pi.

OpenHome is a development of UPnP AV, and, I believe (Simon will correct me if I am wrong) not a lot different from the server perspective. The main differences from the User perspective are in the interaction between the control point and the renderer/player. In OpenHome the current playlist resides in the player (though it is typically also mirrored in the Control Point), while in UPNP AV resides only in the Control Point. So with OpenHome, the plylist will continue plaing even if the Control Point shuts down (a very likely circumstance with phones and tablets). OpenHome alse makes it easy to switch between different control points even while music is playing, which I also find useful.

Some Manufacturers get round the problems of UPnP by embedding a control point in the player and using an IR remote to work it. Some users like this approach: I find it too fiddly to select music on a small LCD screen that is usually further away from me than is comfortable.

David