Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metadata on radio streams
24-04-2018, 17:19
Metadata on radio streams
I see that by default MinimStreamer strips metadata before streaming, but is there a way to turn it back on again? I have a specific reason for asking this. Angel

Until recently (around March 2018) I was able to play streams from UK Bauer radio stations (mainly Wave 105 in my case) without problem but something happened to the streams that made them unplayable on my Logik IR100 and Cambridge Audio NP30. I've managed to restore them by processing them through MinimStreamer but it would be good to be able to prove that there is something non-standard about the incoming streams. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2018, 19:29
RE: Metadata on radio streams
MinimStreamer doesn't provide an option to preserve metadata in radio streams. This would add significant complexity and wouldn't work with many renderers. It would also cause problems when recording or transcoding the stream.

Have you contacted Wave 105 and asked them what has changed?
25-04-2018, 10:27
Thanks for the swift response Simon. I spoke with the chief engineer at Wave a few weeks ago who basically said that all they did was to send a stream out which is then processed further by a third party (Sharpstream) so they don't really get involved. Although he's referred it upwards nothing seems to have happened. I'm fairly certain something has happened to the metadata around the beginning of March which I think coincided with the addition of album artwork to the stream. As I said it seems to affect all of the Bauer Media radio streams. Bauer Media say to speak to the local station, but don't quite know what to do with a call that says ALL STATIONS are "broken" !!
25-04-2018, 10:40
Are you playing the AAC or MP3 stream from Wave 105?
26-04-2018, 11:38
It was the mp3 stream Simon, though that is no longer up on the Reciva portal but the same problem occurs on say, all of the Absolute Radio mp3 streams. Just by way of an update on the "problem" I managed to contact Bauer media's broadcast systems manager who said "We've recently become aware of a change that was made within our streaming infrastructure that would fit with the timescale of the issue. We use a third-party streaming provider, so we're in touch with them to help us resolve the issue.
Many thanks for getting in touch and hopefully we can get the issue resolved soon."

So it looks like something may well happen to resolve it, though it has been going on for a couple of months. As an ex-BBC engineer I'm rather disappointed at the lack of ownership that's been taken by Wave 105, maybe they need to remember that ultimately it's their audience that pays the bills!

Must say that being able to restream using Minim has been really good though, so a big thank you for your work in developing it.
26-04-2018, 12:00
The Absolute Radio listening URL

http://network.absoluteradio.co.uk/core/audio/mp3/live.pls?service=vrbb

returns a file named live.pls containing the URL

http://mp3-ar-128.timlradio.co.uk/

which is permanently redirected to the URL

http://ais.absoluteradio.co.uk/absoluteradio.mp3?awparams=loggedin:false;

which produces a standard IceCast MP3 stream. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the metadata.

Does this provide any clues?