Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing large aiff file
22-04-2018, 22:35
Playing large aiff file
Is there a size limit for playing aiff files? I have a 2.3GB aiff file, 192/24, which always stops playing at around 31 minutes. This is reproduced when playing on my microRendo, as well as on mconnect on my iphone. If I convert the file to either wav or flac, then the whole track plays to the end. The wav file is also 2.3GB, so size alone is not the issue. But when I convert either the wav or the flac file back to aiff, those doubly-converted aiff files also stop at the same location. My minimserver (version 0.8.4 update 114, streamer version 0.7.6) runs on a Synology DS414. Could this be a hardware limitation? Could this be related to the bug reported in http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...p?tid=3011 ? The stream.transcode setting is aac:wav, alac:wav, mp3:wav, mp4:wav, ogg:wav. Any idea appreciated. Thx.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2018, 09:10
RE: Playing large aiff file
2 GB of audio data encoded as 24/192 would play for 31 minutes and 4 seconds, so it seems that something is stopping playback after 2 GB of audio data. This is not a MinimServer limitation but might be a limitation of your control point or renderer. Another possibility is that the internal structure of the file has the audio data length encoded as 2 GB even though the physical file size is greater. MinimServer uses the internally encoded audio data length if it is less than the physical file length.

I have a test AIFF file that is 2.7 GB in length. I tried to play this file with mconnect on my Android phone to see if it plays to the end but I got a message saying that the file format is not supported. I tried other AIFF files and got the same message. I am away from home at present and I will try this using mconnect on my iPad when I return home.
25-04-2018, 10:59
This is a problem with the mconnect iPad renderer. My 2.7 GB AIFF test file stopped playing at 2 GB with this renderer. When using a different renderer with mconnect as the control point, the test file plays to the end.
27-04-2018, 07:14
Thanks for your replies. I can totally believe it's a 2GB limit with aiff files on mconnect. I tried converting the large file from aiff to wav using xld. The wav file plays to the end. Then I used xld to convert that wav file back to aiff. That aiff stops at 31:04. I also used audacity to concatenate two 21min tracks to a single 42min aiff file that is about 3GB. That also stops at 31.04. If it's only a problem with that particular track, then the problem would applies to tracks written by xld and audacity as well.

Next, I used Linn Kazoo to play all of the above to my microRendu. And I got exactly the same results. All aiff files stops at 31.04 while the wav file plays to the end. So I suppose the 2GB limit also applies to the microRendu too. (Would you happen to have a microRendu as well?)

Anyway, I've got three workarounds now. I can convert the aiff track to flac, to wav, or I can split it into two aiff tracks and take advantage of gapless playback. Not the ideal, but workable.

Thanks.
27-04-2018, 09:13
I don't have a microRendu but I am sure from my tests that this must have the same bug as the mconnect renderer. Perhaps they both use a software component that has this issue. Can you contact Sonore to report this?
03-05-2018, 23:41
Done that.
Thanks, Simon.