Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver on Windows 10 notebook
19-04-2018, 16:24
Minimserver on Windows 10 notebook
I have Minimserver/Minimstreamer running on a Windows 10 Home notebook generally without any problems. This setup allows me to listen to the BBC HLS radio streams on a Reciva internet radio.

The only issue is (and I realise this is not strictly a Minimserver problem) that every now and then the notebook (an Asus E200HA with 2GB RAM) becomes unresponsive and requires a reboot after which I have to manually start Minimserver again. When the Asus is in a frozen state it is obviously not possible to listen to the BBC streams on the internet radio.

I have over 20 years experience with Apple Macs but I know very little about the Windows platform. (The Asus was initially an unwanted gift until I found a use for it as a media server.) If somebody can give me some suggestions for solving this problem I would be most grateful. BTW the notebook is always on mains power, and is set never to sleep.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2018, 09:31 (This post was last modified: 20-04-2018 09:31 by simoncn.)
RE: Minimserver on Windows 10 notebook
When the machine freezes, does the mouse pointer move? If not, this is likely to be a hardware problem.
20-04-2018, 09:45
(20-04-2018 09:31)simoncn Wrote:  When the machine freezes, does the mouse pointer move? If not, this is likely to be a hardware problem.

Everything is frozen, including the mouse pointer.
Following some advice I found on the internet I searched for driver updates and found that there was a firmware update available for this machine which I then installed. I believe this has to do with BIOS (again, like I said before I am not Windows savvy...) Keeping my fingers crossed that the freezes will now stop.

I am also looking to find a way to stop automatic Windows updates, since this usually involves a reboot and when that happens Minimserver needs to be restarted manually (unless there is a way for Minimserver to do this automatically).
20-04-2018, 11:05
(20-04-2018 09:45)Zeewier Wrote:  Everything is frozen, including the mouse pointer.
Following some advice I found on the internet I searched for driver updates and found that there was a firmware update available for this machine which I then installed. I believe this has to do with BIOS (again, like I said before I am not Windows savvy...)
The BIOS has nothing to do with Windows - blame IBM if you must, with their original Intel processor based PC (and more or less everything else that has inherited from it over the past 35 years or so).

Welcome to the World (outside of Macs)!
20-04-2018, 11:29
If you type start MinimServer on Windows boot into Google, you will find a number of suggestions for how to do this.
20-04-2018, 12:28
Adding a shortcut to Minimserver in the Windows startup folder ensures that Minimserver starts automatically when Windows boots - one problem solved! Let's now wait and see if there are still random freezes.