Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DSD Files: audio/x-dsf vs. audio/dsd MIME type (was Add DLNA.ORG_PN parameter)
12-04-2018, 12:26 (This post was last modified: 16-04-2018 09:57 by witom.)
DSD Files: audio/x-dsf vs. audio/dsd MIME type (was Add DLNA.ORG_PN parameter)
Minimserver parses and indexes correctly tags of .dsf audio files (DSD format) and sends to UPnP browser. Though, with some stricter endpoints (tested on Sony STR-DN1070), all DSF files are missing in the displayed media list. When debugging the issue I discovered that DLNA.ORG_PN parameter is missing in the DIDL-Lite response for that file type:

===
propName=logLevel propValue=trace
... protocolInfo="http-get:*:audio/x-dsf:DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01700000000000000000000000000000" ...
===

DLNA guideline states:
===
The pn-param (DLNA.ORG_PN) is the only required parameter for DLNA Media Format Profiles. All
other parameters and flags are optional for the syntax.
===

I understand that DSD/DSF is missing from DLNA standard, but seemingly at least some capable devices expect to have that header to conform to protocol spec.
Some other servers are sending

===
protocolInfo="http-get:*:audio/dsd:DLNA.ORG_PN=DSF;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01500000000000000000000000000000"
===

and that works flawlessly on Sony mid-range semi-fresh hardware.

Please consider fixing, should be fairly easy!!

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2018, 17:31
RE: BUGFIX: Add DLNA.ORG_PN parameter to DIDL-Lite response for DSD format audio
(12-04-2018 12:26)witom Wrote:  DLNA.ORG_PN

Now looking a bit more into this I realize that I may have been missing the root cause of the problem. Fetching the GetProtocolInfo from STR-DN1070 i see that it reports only audio/dsd and audio/x-dsd MIME types, not audio/x-dsf as minimserver is assigning... So the issue is probably in MIME type, not DLNA.ORG_PN parameter. I probably should change the Subject: of the thread.
13-04-2018, 11:45
RE: BUGFIX: Add DLNA.ORG_PN parameter
I think it is the mismatch in MIME types that is causing the problem with the STR-DN1070.

Unfortunately there is no standard MIME type for DSF files. The following have been used by various servers and renderers:

audio/dsd
audio/x-dsd
audio/dsf
audio/x-dsf

and for DFF files:

audio/dsd
audio/x-dsd
audio/dff
audio/x-dff

Some servers provide an option to change the MIME type that the server sends and I will look into the possibility of adding this support in a future version of MinimServer.

I don't think MininServer should add DLNA.ORG_PN=DSF as this violates the DLNA specification and might cause problems with some DLNA-compliant renderers. MinimServer is currently sending DLNA.ORG_PN for all filetypes that are defined by DLNA.