Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cannot skip update
16-04-2018, 10:10
RE: Cannot skip update
(16-04-2018 04:36)Giarc Wrote:  Wow, this auto-update system is complicated and hard to understand! This detailed information does help, plus I've read your documentation on top of that, but it still seems strange that I would get confirmation dialogs even when .autoUpdate was set to true.

I guess that's because MinimServer was running 24/7 on the Pi and rarely got restarted, so the "unprompted" updates never occurred. The confirmation dialogs I saw were from MinimWatch which I assume always shows a confirmation dialog when a MinimServer update is detected.

This explains what you have been seeing. The unprompted auto-update happens only at startup because it is disruptive and would interrupt the normal operation of MinimServer if you are browsing your library or playing music.

Quote:So this is making more sense to me now, but it's still very odd that after dismissing a confirmation dialog with the "Remind me later" button, another dialog would immediately appear.

Yes, this is odd and it shouldn't be happening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2018, 10:21
(16-04-2018 04:43)Giarc Wrote:  When I ran the new MinimWatch, it prompted me to install update 60. I decided to click the "Remind me later" button just to see what would happen, and guess what? Another dialog immediately appeared! So the same problem is occurring with MinimWatch like I thought. I then went ahead and installed the update.

This shouldn't be happening. I will check it myself and post back here.

Quote:So I ran uninstall again and this time I got:

No MinimServer instances are running
Removing MinimServer installation files...
rm: cannot remove '/home/pi/Programs/minimserver/tmp/native/libohNet.so': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/home/pi/Programs/minimserver/tmp/native/libohNetJni.so': Permission denied

This means that MinimServer has been running as the root user. This could happen if you had run minimserver/bin/setup as the root user or using sudo. You should run all MinimServer commands as the 'pi' user.

Quote:So I think something was messed up on my original MinimServer installation. Hopefully now it's fixed and things should work properly from now on.

It sound like things are running OK now. Please let me know if anything else happens that doesn't seem correct.

Quote:There is one thing I'm wondering about. You mentioned "a headless instance" of MinimServer. To me, my server is headless just because I have no monitor or input devices connected. Is there something different with MinimServer on a headless setup? I did originally have desktop integration enabled - does this need to be disabled for a headless configuration? Thanks.

There is a difference because extra mechanisms to enable the GUI come into play when you enable desktop integration. These mechanisms shouldn't cause any problems if you never login to the desktop but it keeps things simpler if you don't enable mechanisms that aren't needed.
16-04-2018, 21:12
(16-04-2018 04:43)Giarc Wrote:  When I ran the new MinimWatch, it prompted me to install update 60. I decided to click the "Remind me later" button just to see what would happen, and guess what? Another dialog immediately appeared! So the same problem is occurring with MinimWatch like I thought. I then went ahead and installed the update.

I tried this and I didn't get the problem. This was with a clean installation of MinimWatch 0.8.4 followed by an installation of 0.8.5.2.

There might be something in your MinimWatch configuration file that is causing this problem. If it happens again with the next MinimWatch update, try exiting MinimWatch and then deleting the minimwatch.config file in the C:\users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimWatch\data directory. This file will be recreated the next time you start MinimWatch.