Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Correct Syntax for Remote Content Directory
05-04-2018, 11:57
Correct Syntax for Remote Content Directory
I have tried the search function but not found an answer to my problem, so I trust this does not involve re-inventing the wheel!

Is it possible to direct Minim Server to access a content location on another device? I want to have two instances of Minim accessing different shares on the same QNAP NAS. Obviously I must have the second Minim instance elsewhere. This is not a problem, as I have a second (non-media server) NAS in my network, and have a second instance of Minim correctly installed on this.

I am unable to work out the correct syntax for access to the required content directory on the remote QNAP NAS, where the media is stored. I have four media volumes on the QNAP, of which I want to access a single share in just one.

The volume is 02 Music, and the share I wish to access in it is 01 Classical.

I have the first instance of Minim, installed on the QNAP, correctly set up to access 02 Popular, which is on the same volume, so my problem really is the correct syntax to direct the remote Minim instance to the QNAP server.

I would appreciate any advice on this, thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2018, 17:51
RE: Correct Syntax for Remote Content Directory
You need to mount the shared folder from the first NAS on the second NAS. What make/model of NAS is the second NAS?
05-04-2018, 20:44 (This post was last modified: 05-04-2018 20:56 by stablesgh.)
(05-04-2018 17:51)simoncn Wrote:  You need to mount the shared folder from the first NAS on the second NAS. What make/model of NAS is the second NAS?

Thank you for this - though I must admit I have no idea how to mount the shared folder!

The NAS on which the second instance of Minim is installed is a Synology DS1515+.

Later:

I found out that I do the mount using File Station on the Synology, but again, I cannot find the correct syntax. I initially used the QNAP name "MusicNAS", and when this did not work used the ip, 192.168.1.x, but this did not work either - I get a messgae saying "failed to find remote folder", whatever share syntax i use.

Help!!
05-04-2018, 23:49
(05-04-2018 20:44)stablesgh Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 17:51)simoncn Wrote:  You need to mount the shared folder from the first NAS on the second NAS. What make/model of NAS is the second NAS?

Thank you for this - though I must admit I have no idea how to mount the shared folder!

The NAS on which the second instance of Minim is installed is a Synology DS1515+.

Later:

I found out that I do the mount using File Station on the Synology, but again, I cannot find the correct syntax. I initially used the QNAP name "MusicNAS", and when this did not work used the ip, 192.168.1.x, but this did not work either - I get a messgae saying "failed to find remote folder", whatever share syntax i use.

Help!!

Are you following instructions the same as these - mount remote volume?
06-04-2018, 06:53
(05-04-2018 23:49)Alandbush Wrote:  

Later:

Help!!

Yes, thank you, I found that article - I used the CIFS system for my failed attempts last night. I have had another look at the problem this morning and I am wondering if I should use NFS as both the NAS boxes use Linux?
06-04-2018, 06:59
CIFS should be OK.

I am away from home at present. I will be back later today and I will try doing this using a CIFS mount.
06-04-2018, 08:45
(06-04-2018 06:53)stablesgh Wrote:  

Later:

Help!!

Yes, thank you, I found that article - I used the CIFS system for my failed attempts last night. I have had another look at the problem this morning and I am wondering if I should use NFS as both the NAS boxes use Linux?

Would the format look something like this, based on your earlier posts?

\\192.168.0.x\Music\Classical
06-04-2018, 11:21
(06-04-2018 08:45)Alandbush Wrote:  
(06-04-2018 06:53)stablesgh Wrote:  

Later:

Help!!

Would the format look something like this, based on your earlier posts?

\\192.168.0.x\Music\Classical

Yes, that is the sort of thing I have tried, both with and without the volume, also with and without "share" - both before the volume and before the share itself. More or less all permutations, in fact!

Many thanks for your help!
06-04-2018, 14:18
To do the CIFS mount, specify \\192.168.1.x\01 Classical as the name of the remote folder to be mounted. You can specify any local folder name.

After you have done the mount, use the local folder name for the mounted folder as the contentDir value for MinimServer.
06-04-2018, 17:10
(06-04-2018 14:18)simoncn Wrote:  To do the CIFS mount, specify \\192.168.1.x\01 Classical as the name of the remote folder to be mounted. You can specify any local folder name.

After you have done the mount, use the local folder name for the mounted folder as the contentDir value for MinimServer.

I have solved the problem of mounting the share - it was nothing to do with the syntax. I was using my Admin account on the Synology, where I should have been using my own personal account. The format you suggest was the first thing I had tried!

Now to see if I can get Minim to accept the mounted share.

Thank you all for your help!