Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Miniserver running on Windows 10 PC but Java access denied
28-03-2018, 13:59
Miniserver running on Windows 10 PC but Java access denied
Here is an except from the script. Just need to know what to do to enable the Java access to my music files. THanks

Current time is Wed Mar 28 08:47:30 EDT 2018 in time zone America/Indianapolis
starting MinimServer[Main]
Warning: error scanning file 'C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Music': java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Music
Warning: error scanning file 'C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Pictures': java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Pictures
Warning: error scanning file 'C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Videos': java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Videos
MinimServer[Main] is running
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2018, 14:57
RE: Miniserver running on Windows 10 PC but Java access denied
First thing to try is the security program you are using (the Windows firewall for sure needs you establish an exception for Java). Temporarily disable the program, and check whether MinimServer runs. If it does, you will need to establish the security exception for Java. Sometimes this can be done from the event logs of the security program. From the error messages, it looks as though you will need to set the exception for the Java Platform SE Binary.

David
28-03-2018, 17:05
Are you running MinimServer as user Holden or as a different user? A different user would not normally have access to the C:\Users\Holden folder.
28-03-2018, 23:10
(28-03-2018 17:05)simoncn Wrote:  Are you running MinimServer as user Holden or as a different user? A different user would not normally have access to the C:\Users\Holden folder.

Not sure how I know how I tell whether MinimServer is running as user Holden or other?
28-03-2018, 23:48 (This post was last modified: 28-03-2018 23:59 by skeptic Mike.)
(28-03-2018 13:59)MarkBikes Wrote:  Here is an except from the script. Just need to know what to do to enable the Java access to my music files. THanks

Current time is Wed Mar 28 08:47:30 EDT 2018 in time zone America/Indianapolis
starting MinimServer[Main]
Warning: error scanning file 'C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Music': java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Music
Warning: error scanning file 'C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Pictures': java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Pictures
Warning: error scanning file 'C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Videos': java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\Holden\Documents\My Videos
MinimServer[Main] is running

Back in the days of Windows XP, Music, Videos and Pictures folders were actually called 'My Music', 'My Videos' and 'My Pictures', and were contained in the 'My Documents' folder. Windows Vista changed to the names without the 'My ', and with all the folders at the top level of the user profile. However, there were many badly written programs that hard coded the paths, so Microsoft came up with a cunning wheeze to fix this. They used junction points (an empty directory that points to another directory) to allow the broken programs to work, but they hid the junction points, and fixed the permissions so that they couldn't be enumerated. That should explain the errors.

These junction points don't exist in new Windows 10 installations, but they do on in-place upgrades form Windows 8 or 7. You can see them from a command prompt if you use the /ahd option to the dir command. e.g.

C:\Users\mike>dir Documents /ahd
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is D4C7-9B80

Directory of C:\Users\mike\Documents

23/01/2018 10:28 <JUNCTION> My Music [C:\Users\mike\Music]
23/01/2018 10:28 <JUNCTION> My Pictures [C:\Users\mike\Pictures]
23/01/2018 10:28 <JUNCTION> My Videos [C:\Users\mike\Videos]
0 File(s) 0 bytes
3 Dir(s) 34,926,129,152 bytes free

What this suggests is that you are using Documents as your directory for MinimServer to search for music files. This probably isn't a good idea.

If your music files are in your Music folder, then using C:\users\holden\music should work. If that doesn't, then we probably need to know what directories you've told MinimServer to search for music files (i.e. what is in the contentDir section on the Server tab from the MinimServer icon), and where your music files really are.

Mike