Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Readynas OS6
16-03-2018, 22:17
Readynas OS6
Hi Simon.

Is there any reason that Minimserver isn't available for OS6?
It's not difficult to install it manually (it's Debian 7 X64 basically), but would be better with a package since then it wouldn't be overwritten after each update.

(At least I think it would, I'm not using my Readynas atm.. but I'm getting awfully close to moving the discs from my MyCloud Duo gen2, since the cloud portition of the MyCloud is pretty s****, althugh it works fine as a basic SMB share....I digress)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2018, 22:35
RE: Readynas OS6
There are historical reasons why MinimServer support was not implemented for OS6 when OS6 was first released (see this post).

At this point, I am not implementing support for any new platforms. Keeping up with new versions of the currently supported platforms is a significant amount of work. At some point this might change and if this happens I would re-evaluate which platforms would be the most suitable candidates.
17-03-2018, 01:32
Quote:To make things even worse, the new firmware (OS 6) and new-style applications can't run on the old hardware, so I would need to purchase new hardware in order to create a new-style MinimServer package.
I would agree.. But to be fair OS6 is quite a big departure from OS4, so that old packages didn't work was that surprising.
And in the end Netgear did provide an official way to run OS6 on the Intel legacy devices (except 3 models that used 32bit cpus). So kudos to them, although they should have provided that from the beginning. They lost a lot of goodwill and customers by not doing that.

Their new models look crap btw. Love my old Ultra 4..after mounting a Noctua fan, that is. Just sucks that it doesn't support USB3.

Anyways I digress, thanks for answering Smile
17-03-2018, 09:38 (This post was last modified: 17-03-2018 09:40 by simoncn.)
My ReadyNAS is an ARM model (Duo v2 - nice machine) and there was no solution provided by NETGEAR to run OS6 on this.
17-03-2018, 18:44
I see. Well if you happen to change your mind then I'm sure a lot of people will be happySmile